GM 16216588 - Hacking
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
No, not worth it. Technically you could wire one in, but its tedious. The nvram boards we have are designed to plug in to the existing memcal socket, but that pcm doesnt have one, so you need to wire it by hand. Then you would need to modify the operating system to extend the commands it can take to support write commands, and oseplugin is for aldl, so... not sure what would need to be done there... but some kind of avt style version for vpw would need to be created. Heaps of work...
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
quadstar87
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
Ok that's what I thought I was reading about them. Wasn't sure if they flashed directly through the added board or thru the ALDL.antus wrote:No, not worth it. Technically you could wire one in, but its tedious. The nvram boards we have are designed to plug in to the existing memcal socket, but that pcm doesnt have one, so you need to wire it by hand. Then you would need to modify the operating system to extend the commands it can take to support write commands, and oseplugin is for aldl, so... not sure what would need to be done there... but some kind of avt style version for vpw would need to be created. Heaps of work...
-
ejukated
- Posts: 426
- Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
Perhaps an emulator like the Moates Ostrich 2.0 for real time tuning?quadstar87 wrote:What are the chances I could setup one of these with an NVRAM instead of socketing the flash? Or are those not very universal?
-
quadstar87
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
It should work in theory. Would need a PLCC32->DIP32 adapter and a socket booster + the Ostrich though.ejukated wrote:Perhaps an emulator like the Moates Ostrich 2.0 for real time tuning?quadstar87 wrote:What are the chances I could setup one of these with an NVRAM instead of socketing the flash? Or are those not very universal?
EDIT: It'd have to be a custom adapter that unscrambles the addresses because to tune in RT, you'd have to be editing an unscrambled BIN....
Good news is that I have learned almost everything I need to know via RT OBD-I tuning and logging over the ALDL and doing data-traces in TP. If I get some things working via an .ADX for the AVT, I can do data-tracing in these 128k bin's as well.
-
quadstar87
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
These run all 6.5L GM engines between 96 and 2000. Trucks, vans, utility chassis, civilian HMMWVs, etc. They are everywhere and are greatly misunderstood. They were the original delco efi diesel I think.antus wrote:These are closer to the vx/xy pcm, but with a vpw chip in them. They look the same, with different colour connectors. HC11 processor, 128k bins. Also running diesel engines. There is also an earlier version thats still ALDL but with more or less the same software on them. Chevy express vans I think. 6.5L.
It's an all in one ECM/TCM with the single flash chip unlike the similar Saturn implementation that has the 2 sided board.
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
Hows this coming along? Has been a pretty good readquadstar87 wrote:These run all 6.5L GM engines between 96 and 2000. Trucks, vans, utility chassis, civilian HMMWVs, etc. They are everywhere and are greatly misunderstood. They were the original delco efi diesel I think.antus wrote:These are closer to the vx/xy pcm, but with a vpw chip in them. They look the same, with different colour connectors. HC11 processor, 128k bins. Also running diesel engines. There is also an earlier version thats still ALDL but with more or less the same software on them. Chevy express vans I think. 6.5L.
It's an all in one ECM/TCM with the single flash chip unlike the similar Saturn implementation that has the 2 sided board.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
quadstar87
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
Haven't made any progress in a few days. Was helping friends on a few other projects, but i'll be back at this within the week.Tazzi wrote: Hows this coming along? Has been a pretty good read
-
quadstar87
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
Can anyone suggest what replacement flash chips would work in case they get destroyed during de-solder? I'm thinking Intel AN28F010-120 but don't fully understand the access speeds that would be required by a PCM.
I found this nifty article and grabbed up an old Intel NIC for a few bucks so I can hopefully write the 'scrambled' bin back onto a chip to recover these PCM's
http://sandeen.net/fwfix/index.html I have this hooked up and running but don't have any de-soldered chips to play with...yet. I'll share up the modified fboot.exe once I have it working for the chip(s) that I use.
Here's my custom chip writer
I found this nifty article and grabbed up an old Intel NIC for a few bucks so I can hopefully write the 'scrambled' bin back onto a chip to recover these PCM's
http://sandeen.net/fwfix/index.html I have this hooked up and running but don't have any de-soldered chips to play with...yet. I'll share up the modified fboot.exe once I have it working for the chip(s) that I use.
Here's my custom chip writer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
quadstar87
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
Also got in the wiring pigtails today to convert my ride to OBD2. The wiring is very similar to OBD1, so just need to pin these plugs onto my in-dash wires since the wire locations and locators on the plugs are skewed a bit. Will lose my RT tuning and data-logging for a bit until that's sorted out for the newer/VPW setup instead of 8192 ALDL.
Once PassLock is disabled, it'll be able to fire the injection pump as long as I don't miss any wires.
Once PassLock is disabled, it'll be able to fire the injection pump as long as I don't miss any wires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
ralcool
- Posts: 136
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:48 pm
- cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo
Re: GM 16216588 - Hacking
I love neat little hacks like that.... its even cheaper than a plcc-dip adapter!