turbo 383 ready to tune.

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
V8hilux
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
Location: Inverell Northern NSW

turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by V8hilux »

Hi,

My ute is ready to tune. I have addressed the cooling with a second radiator and fan under tray, have 80lb injectors, bigger pump, big water to air intercooler and as far as I can see she is ready to be tuned.

I just went for the first full throttle run, up road and then back but the car still feels gutless and won't pull max revs, 5800. seems to bog and won't go past 5400 or so.

also the car takes a while to start. winds for about 4 seconds everytime then starts. not sure whats going on there.
I have the wastegate spring at 150kpa but want to go as much boost as i can, say 200kpa.

I have here the couple minute log of the full throttle run and the bin I am using but if someone could run there eye over it please I'm sure ther's got to be a reason why she won't pull.
the ve is a little off in spots but I can fix that easily I guess. not sure why it feels lacking power. has a 3 inch straight through system and 3 inch dump with a 50mm external wastegate plumbed back in about 3ft down wind of the turbo at a nice narrow angle.
10sep2011feelsgutless150kpa.bin
just finishedwastegatepipe.xdl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
V8hilux
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
Location: Inverell Northern NSW

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by V8hilux »

i'm running ose12p with the 123bar bin petrol adx thing
User avatar
V8hilux
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
Location: Inverell Northern NSW

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by V8hilux »

here's some pics:
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
V8hilux
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
Location: Inverell Northern NSW

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by V8hilux »

009.JPG
008.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
muttley383
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 am
cars: VR 383 stroker

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by muttley383 »

Does the fuel pump prime when the ignition key is turned on?

If the primary fuel pump 12v supply is not working the pump will not turn on until oil pressure is established while the engine is cranking.
This is assuming that you have identicle wirng as the commodores for your conversion.
User avatar
V8hilux
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
Location: Inverell Northern NSW

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by V8hilux »

Good thinking muttley, but yes, I get fuel pressure as soon as i hit 2 clicks of the key. It's something to do with the cranking bpw or something. I can't tell if it's flooding or lean. it always seems to take the same amount of time to start like theres 2 different phases of the start cranking feature and when it hits the second phase it goes... but i don't really know.

it won't chuck a burnout if i take off in first and hold it flat... pretty ordinary for a 383 turbo...lol. dunno wtf wrong with it. all compressions good, 170 odd.
propper turbo cam. big ttb manifold, new leads,plugs, pump,injectors, maybe she needs a heap more timing ??
User avatar
V8hilux
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
Location: Inverell Northern NSW

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by V8hilux »

it sort of feels and sounds like it has no compression. in neutral does not rev crisp and the tacho goes up slow.
even exhaust sounds quiet like it has no power.. no rags left in it either. lol. the exhaust smells rich and burns your eyes.
User avatar
muttley383
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 am
cars: VR 383 stroker

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by muttley383 »

I thought that if the exhaust burnt your eyes then it was lean. May have to setup a wideband a/f meter.
Is the base timing ok?
User avatar
V8hilux
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
Location: Inverell Northern NSW

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by V8hilux »

I want it to spin the tyres at 100km/hr.
maybe i'm expecting too much. it's only 2 tonne to push would have thought she'd go better than this with the turbo.

I have the wideband in the car mounted on dash and all reads good. except for the 10:1 at full throttle would that mixture make it gutless??
User avatar
V8hilux
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am
cars: v8 Hilux 4x4 383 turbocharged with th700 auto.
Location: Inverell Northern NSW

Re: turbo 383 ready to tune.

Post by V8hilux »

I'm going out to check the base timing right now mate.