What do I need..

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Akuma
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 am
cars: WH Caprice

What do I need..

Post by Akuma »

Hi all, i am new to this forum and I have searched a little but I am looking at buying a VP SS with the intention of turbocharging it. what is required to tune the stock ECU? Ive already got the wideband and controller from my last car.

Thanks
Will.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: What do I need..

Post by VL400 »

Welcome to the forums :thumbup:

For a VP your best off leaving the standard ECU and running 12P on it .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356. It has boost support along with a few other extra features.

As for then making changes there are a few ways to go, one option is..
NVRAM - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=167
Comms - USB or RS232

Have a read of the getting started guide in my sig too :geek:
Akuma
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 am
cars: WH Caprice

Re: What do I need..

Post by Akuma »

Thanks VL400, looks like Ive got a lot of reading ahead of me.
Another thing i wanted to know, with the stock ECU am I able to run low impedance injectors without the use of ballast resistors, what sort of power can I tune for with the stock ECU?
I will be using a GT4294 @ approximately 10psi.

Oh 1 more thing, Is there anywhere in NZ where i can buy the parts required?
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: What do I need..

Post by Jayme »

no you cant use low impedance injectors on the delco. I dont recommend even using a driver box, id sooner get some siemens deka 60 lb injectors, which arent that expensive, and are high impedance, and will flow plenty of fuel for your setup.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: What do I need..

Post by Holden202T »

siemens deka 80lb's work well too :P
Akuma
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 am
cars: WH Caprice

Re: What do I need..

Post by Akuma »

some 60's will be plenty, im only planning on running 10psi on a stock engine. then again.. LOL

Ok where do I get all the parts required, as im trying to cost it up between using the stock ECU and running a Megasquirt ECU.
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: What do I need..

Post by VL400 »

From the for sale section .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=14

I post international so just PM me which parts your after. Total cost with postage to setup your VP for RT tuning and data logging is AU$230 for RS232 or AU$260 for USB.
Akuma
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 am
cars: WH Caprice

Re: What do I need..

Post by Akuma »

Thanks bud, I will be in contact as soon as the car arrives..
Is TunerPro RT the tuning software you recommend? if so how difficult is it to use?
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: What do I need..

Post by VL400 »

Yep, TP is generally what is used. Download it (RT version 5) and have play with 12P :thumbup:
Akuma
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 am
cars: WH Caprice

Re: What do I need..

Post by Akuma »

LOL, yep im going to have a bit of a play round with it now..

For the $260 you quoted, is this the kit assembled? I have used surface mount gear before but I no longer have the eye sight and equipment for that.
Thanks again!!
Will