id a bin file?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
mattyc

id a bin file?

Post by mattyc »

Hi guys,

Have a slightly weird one, sure someone will I.D it in no time,

the ECU is a VR V8 auto BLCC and has a custom tune in it, i have removed the memcal and read it,

ill attach the bin file below,

the other question is, the guy has brought this engine with the ecu supplied that is tuned for it, came out of a vr auto, the vehicle it is going into is a series 3 vs v8 manual ute (with airflow meter etc), we would like to remove the airflow meter etc and run an earlier ecu in it, (due to the enigne has a 4barrel throttle body on the top of it), but the otehr thing is, i havnt loked at the ute, but i assume it will be a getrag gearbox in it, so different speed sensor setup to a t5,

could i use the vr v8 auto ecu and rewire the wiring connector on the wiring loom to suit the ecu,

basiacally what we would like to do is keep the tune that is in this memcal, and maybe slightly modify it if needed.

Cheers Mat
Attachments
vrv8strokercamtune.bin
vrv8autostrokercamtune
(64 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Holden202T

Re: id a bin file?

Post by Holden202T »

well i don't have alot of time to fuck around with this at the moment but i have worked out it appears to be $11 code but its all offset by 1000 .... ie 5008 in this tune should be at 6008 .... when you offset $11 xdf by FFF it lines up fuel spark and afr tables all perfectly.

i'm not sure if its just a dodgy read of the chip or what .... might be worth trying another read.

if i had more time i was going to add 1000 to the start of the tune and then see how it compared to a stock blcc to see whats been changed....

hope this helps.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I added the 1000 offset, the file is attached.

Its not a bad read, the reset vectors at the end of the file are in the right place, yet the values they point to are offset by 0x1000 which looks like an intentional change. I gather its some kind of hack, but theres nothing to identify it in there. The file attached to this post is now 0x1000 too long for a chip, so its no good to use on a car - but you can load it with the 11B xdf and have a poke around. My cursory glance makes it look like it doesnt line up perfectly, and with code changes it might have different sized tables somewhere...
Attachments
offset.bin
(68 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

everything i've looked at seems to indicate all $11 tables line up and theres a fair bit of work to auto shift points and stuff, which is more than likely to suit the higher rev limit and probably bigger cam.

its also got similar changes to what i did in a mates VS 304 to stop it surging at low revs due to the bigger cam ... (this is the 14.50's in the AFR table up to 1600rpm)

its probably really only suited to the motor you got it with or could be used to port the info across into a stock $11 then not have to worry about the offset etc
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

thanks for doing the offset antus,

now that it is readable it makes sense to me,

now what we are going to do with the engine is fit it into a VS series 3 ute, using the VR ecu and wiring loom, the ute has the getrag 5 speed fitted to it,

from all the info i can find, is that the vr auto speed sensor appears to be the same style as the getrag gearbox?

can i modify this bin file, so it doesnt throw any auto codes and go into limp home mode etc?

any help is appriciated

Thanks mat
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

also can we modify this bin and offset it back once modified and write it into a memcal?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yes you can edit it and remove the offset and use it. Make sure the checksum is disabled if its not (as tunerpro cant calculate it for VR without a plugin), and make sure the last 0x1000 bytes havnt been chopped off by tunerpro. If they have, enlarge the size of the bin file in the xdf header and try again. Not sure about the auto flag, havnt done any VR tuning personally, though there is probably a thread about it somewhere around here.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Will need to manually turn off all the auto fault codes in a VR, there is no global flag :thumbdown: Getrag speed sensor should be a two wire reluctor so will work fine.
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

just a quick question, how did you offset the file? and how do i go about changing it back? i havnt had the need to do one, and havnt quite found the exact info i need to be able to do it,

cheers
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I did it on the command line in linux...

used a calculator to convert 0x1000 from hex to decimal 0x1000 = 4096

then created a 4096 byte block of nothing by copying that many bytes from a special device that just spits out zeros to 1000.bin

Code: Select all

[ant@gemini ~]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=1000.bin bs=1 count=4096
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
4096 bytes (4.1 kB) copied, 0.029953 seconds, 137 kB/s
then joined the two files together with:

[ant@gemini ~]$ (cat 1000.bin ; cat vrv8strokercamtune.bin ) > offset.bin
then to remove it I would do

[ant@gemini bins]$  dd if=offset.bin of=new.bin bs=1 count=64k skip=4096
65536+0 records in
65536+0 records out
65536 bytes (66 kB) copied, 0.141302 seconds, 464 kB/s
[ant@gemini bins]$ ls -l new.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 ant ant 65536 Apr 15 08:51 new.bin
probably not what your looking for but linux is good for that kinda stuff...

If I were you, I would not modify the size of the file, I would adjust the xdf to compensate instead.
in TunerPro go xdf -> view/edit xdf header info and set the base offset to 1000 and click 'subtract'. That'll offset all items in the xdf back by 0x1000 so you can just edit the original file.

Just keep in the back of your mind that its an unknown bin, so if you pull up an item and the original value looks wrong, then the bin is probably slightly different and that item has probably not lined up.