vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

what shockers to use?

Post by vlad01 »

What brand of shockers do you guys recommend and know to be good quality?

I am sort of tossing up between boge and monroe GT gas

Koni and bilstien I would love but cost too much to justify of my VP. for my other project Koni yes because I want the best on my type 3.
But for a VP its bit of an over kill.

suggestions please! :D
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Re: what shockers to use?

Post by Holden202T »

i've always used Monroe GT Gas in most of my cars and that are great for my money.

never heard of boge ....

and for the record, my VZ SV6 ute has 214,000kms on it and the monroe gt gas that came in them from the factory are still nice and stiff!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

ah thats all I needed to hear.

boge is the OEM shocker for a lot of the European sports cars like merc, bmw, porsche and vw also used them. They are great shockers but wasn't sure on their application towards Holden
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

even my vs had monroe gt gas factory though i think they were called something else, only replaced them a few years ago, did well since 1995. I think nearly all commo's had them or vs up?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i was at a dealer once at the parts counter and i was looking at this box of monroe gt gas shocks on the counter, it was open and the shocks in it where black. i queried the guy behind the counter and he said thats what comes stock in FE2 cars (SS, SV6 etc), and they have monroe sensatrak in the berlina/calais etc type cars. i'm not sure on executives, but honestly if you get an executive you don't care anyways!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

but executives were the best car to do up :thumbup: thats why I chose a executive to restore. simplicity and light weight and imho look the best, not of the bling and pin striping and fancy crap.

anyway that I knew about the more sport models but didn't think berlina would have higher spec shockers
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh my berlina had the black ones when i replaced the factories.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

weren't they all black?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah thats the thing that spung me out, these ones in the monroe gt gas box (was opened) were black and not the usual monroe colours.

so they come like that from monroe for factory fit stuff i guess.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

From what I recall, the OEM shocks that Monroe supplied to Holden etc were built to a (very low) price - so although they were Monroes, they were a lower spec than the A/M parts.
I remember something about the OEM spec shocks being built so cheap that they were only typically good for something like 25k kms, whereas the A/M parts lasted double that?
Shocks are a wear and tear item so when they wear out the car's warranty doesn't cover them unless they're leaking or on fire - but at least the manufacturer gets to save a couple of cents per corner...