vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

VN s1 engine vs VN s2 - VP engines

Post by vlad01 »

I just got dibbs on a 1990 manual VN is good condition with 218k on the clock and the T5 in is is an absolute ripper, buying just for the gearbox. Took it for test drive and guy said it was the most powerful stock VN he's ever driven, he wasn't joking. Goes like the clappers.

Now that got me searching on the differences. obviously the intake and the PCV vent holes in the heads, cooling system

Different crank and flywheel and rope main seal are some others.

Also the different torque and power curve is rumored to be result of a more wild cam in the early VN, so said to be higher lift but shorter duration than of the proceeding engine after the s1.

anyone know any others?

I am thinking of using as a replacement for my daily but modify the engine to use the later intake and cooling system and retrofit rear main with a felpro 2 piece neo seal. That is a seal I found as a upgrade replacement for the rope seal. maybe a double row timing set so I don't run into stretched chains and do away with the problematic balancer shaft.

thoughts?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VN s1 engine vs VN s2 - VP engines

Post by antus »

maybe its my mates old car.. he had a good VN S-pack with a T5. He rebuilt the engine, had it balanced, and removed the balance shaft at the same time, otherwise stock. That one went really well compared to others. Im joking that maybe its the same car... but maybe a previous owner has done something similar.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i'm not sure on the cams, but I know the early VN's had better take off and I believe they -detuned them in later models to just be smoother taking off, but subsequently killed low end HP.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

antus wrote:maybe its my mates old car.. he had a good VN S-pack with a T5. He rebuilt the engine, had it balanced, and removed the balance shaft at the same time, otherwise stock. That one went really well compared to others. Im joking that maybe its the same car... but maybe a previous owner has done something similar.

red VN?

no this one is just local family car, all original. its an executive nothing special about it.

it all bottom end and dies after 4k rpm. its characteristically much difference to series 2 engines, even mine with APNX doesn't rip through the low end as well as this one. it also vibrates a lot when accelerating, the engine itself.

I doubt a tune or intake would make that much difference.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

well looks like its confirmed.

actually according to this the VN series 1 have longer duration and higher lift than the later cams.

wonder if I should just pinch the cam from the s1 engine and dial it in on the s2 engine, use the APNX tune as a base ?

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v6- ... tions.html
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

s1 cam dont fit an s2
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah I noticed when I look though crow cam catalog. says the s1 is flanged cam.

So i can use the long block but drill the holes for the PCV passages for the S2 manifold?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

it'd probably be easier and cheaper to just buy a new cam!

honestly I reckon you can get more from a different cam than the holden one is!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I was just considering this one as a spare engine, overall it seems to be less worn that all the other I have.
dbrickz
cars: Charged vg commo
Second owner vp sleeper
1968 Toyota corona s1 shiftkited v6 burnout rocket cooks ride 2012 e3 r8 clubby

Post by dbrickz »

Oil pick up on early vn(vg s1s diffrent size and shape still fit lo...ballance shaft has a diffrent offset and weight ...oil filter bypass spring diffrent also..theres a lot more than people think