Austin Lancer Twin Turbo Buick

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
twinturboaustin
cars: V6 twin turbo Austin Lancer
V6 Sinlge turbo datsun 720

Austin Lancer Twin Turbo Buick

Post by twinturboaustin »

Heres a bit of a quick intro to myself

Hi Im Tony From Tony'z garage and I develop turbo kits for the v6 range in vn to vy. Not limited to v6 or holden as I design many turbo setups all round

Heres a pic of my shops development buick v6 setup.
back up 640.JPG
back up 640.JPG (3.22 MiB) Viewed 6527 times
Here it runs a standard series 1 v6 buick engine 2 chinese turbos currently set at around 28 psi making 340 rwkw on my dyno. I use a snow performance water\meth setup to reduce intake temps and add more fuel in top end. it has 2 wrx intercoolers under gaurds but after first dyno pull they turn into interwarmers lol.

It has a fully built turbo700 behind it with a 2800 stall and a hilux diff under rear.

Although a lot of people tell me its not possible to achieve what I have on a standard engine I have toasted a few in getting this far and run on the theory of instead of building a $5000 engine I could use 50 $100 engines and have some serious fun at a budget entry price and keep up with the built engines.

there are a few little things that are required to make them last at these level but nothing major or expensive or what you wouldn't do to a built engine.
Holden202T

Re: Austin Lancer Twin Turbo Buick

Post by Holden202T »

nice work mate :) she looks pretty wild !!

I guess the question with a stock motor is more of what is failing each time, if its the same thing its more than likely not up to the job, but also from a lot of the $50 motors I've seen half of them die from having no oil changes and then they starve for oil when pushed hard!

but I am all for doing things on a budget and I love to surprise people with what you can do if you have a go, I reckon if you keep them from knocking and don't lean them out they last pretty well!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Just LOVE the conversion. Austin Lancers would be quiet rare these days. Can tell a funny story about me and one of those back in 1970. Later.
I agree whole hartedly with 202. Most engines go belly up due to a blocked pickup. I've seen so many die because of it. Modern hi-tech engines with oil pickups no bigger than a 50 cent piece. It sickens me to see manufacturers saving a few cents knowing the eventual outcome.
I have seen many engines flogged to the max and with boost extremely high. Just control the knock and use good oil and a clean pickup and it's almost impossible to kill them.
I race with the MX5 club and one member who usually races his MX5 decided to give his daily Subaru WRX a go and just like we say died due to oil starving caused by a blocked pickup.
I was uncertain about my car EVO4 ex Japan but touch wood it's been tops to this point in time.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:nice work mate :) she looks pretty wild !!

I guess the question with a stock motor is more of what is failing each time, if its the same thing its more than likely not up to the job, but also from a lot of the $50 motors I've seen half of them die from having no oil changes and then they starve for oil when pushed hard!

but I am all for doing things on a budget and I love to surprise people with what you can do if you have a go, I reckon if you keep them from knocking and don't lean them out they last pretty well!

don't forget the sludge trap in the oil filter adapter.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
twinturboaustin
cars: V6 twin turbo Austin Lancer
V6 Sinlge turbo datsun 720

Post by twinturboaustin »

Hello hokden 202

yeah your completely right about the strainer one of the first things I check out on wrecker engines.

As I run a modded sump for bigger capacity I usually swap out pickups to a clean one whilst there.

Also have found running a bigger sump 6.5 ltr capacity helps and I use just normal 25w50 oil with 1 litre of lucas oil stabilizer. Before doibg this I was throwing rods out every meeting.

Since findibg out these things I've been on the same engine for the last year abd half now.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

You can drill the galleries from mains to cam to 8mm (factory is 6mm). Clean up and open up the timing cover galleries, they are pretty ordinary from factory.

Also higher flow oil filter and upgraded oil pressure spring ( stock spring with spacer) from zzp. Bumps up the pressure by 5psi.

I would be thinking thinner oil would be better as thick cant flow through the small galleries that well. I run 10w50 in winter and 15w60 in summer and my engine been beaten to the shithouse. Red lined every day doing 50k a year and been good for over 4 years now.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

we run $15 20/50 gulf western oil for 3 years in a stocker now runs penrite hpr30 just cause its the little engine that could and was close to 10's down the 1/4 LOL even stopped entering it in skid comps once it did an 11.5 LOL.all we have thats not stock is an ecotec oil pressure spring a cam regrind and valvesprings.been as high as 22psi the last weekend of drags but not gaining anymore power with boost increase.time has come for ported heads and better manifolding.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

There is also core shifts from factory which can sometimes partially block the galleries from cam to mains. its luck of the draw really.
drilling them fixes that issue plus provides more head room for oil flow.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I think the oil is a priority as it's not much to pay for insurance. I have just started using Castrol 10W60 against Mobil 1 because I have a contact there who assures me it's tops but yes any oil will do short term.
So that little car runs in the 10"s. Very quick
Just wondering what it's got in the braking department but if it's WSID all you meed is air pressure to stop. No brakes needed but back off the throttle.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I don't agree!!! I've always needed brakes to pull up since running an 11!!!