I'm about to start tuning a mate's car this weekend. While logging I will have closed loop and BLM off. I have a wideband installed. Does anyone turn AE and DE off?
Looks like the way to do it would be to zero out some of the tables?
Would this create other problems? Not necessary? No one does this and I'm just an amateur with no idea?
Look forward to some feedback.
Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
Turning off AE it will be difficult to drive, so best off leaving that on. Just need to be smooth on the throttle and tune only areas where the throttle is steady, using hills makes this easier.
DE and DFCO can be turned off though.
DE and DFCO can be turned off though.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
Thanks, is it common practice turning DE and DFCO off?
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
I guess it depends how your tuning.... if your using blms or similar for tuning then you don't need to, that said I have never turned any of the above off for tuning, just do like VL400 said, hit a load point and hold it steady there and then you'll get a fairly accurate reading.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
Thanks, the car was previously tuned to near perfect on $DB code by someone else.
There's been an intake manifold change and now needs some adjusting. So I've made up a 12P bin from as much data I could copy over from the DB bin and fitted a wideband. The car is drivable with my 12P bin so I was thinking of just logging and adjusting VE from their.
Would the logs still be ok with BLM and closed loop on?
There's been an intake manifold change and now needs some adjusting. So I've made up a 12P bin from as much data I could copy over from the DB bin and fitted a wideband. The car is drivable with my 12P bin so I was thinking of just logging and adjusting VE from their.
Would the logs still be ok with BLM and closed loop on?
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
You can tune with just BLMs but its far easier to turn off closed loop to start with, then drive and use the logging calcVE item for steady state areas to get a few cells sorted. Smooth the VE and go for another drive.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
how do you turn off DFCO?VL400 wrote:Turning off AE it will be difficult to drive, so best off leaving that on. Just need to be smooth on the throttle and tune only areas where the throttle is steady, using hills makes this easier.
DE and DFCO can be turned off though.
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
Few ways, but prob just set "DFCO Params - DFCO Temperature threshold" to something really high
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
So that being disabled, DE should still work?
I am looking at ways to get a nice exhaust crackle when slowing down haha.
driven few stock VNs with V6 with T5 and they do it nicely.
I am looking at ways to get a nice exhaust crackle when slowing down haha.
driven few stock VNs with V6 with T5 and they do it nicely.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Anyone Turn Off AE And DE For Tuning?
I rather the opposite, i hate the "back crackle" so when it's to lean on decel thats when they do that?
I always thought if decel was to rich they crackled like that?
I always thought if decel was to rich they crackled like that?