cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Help testing a Camira coil

Post by Charlescrown »

I have just converted my Starion to Delco and can't get a spark. The ecu outputs all the data saying all is OK but there is no spark. I assume it gets the rpm signal from the distribitor through the coil to the ECU. All the wiring tests fine with all the correct pin connections. What I need to know is how to run a multimeter over the coil. Any advice is welcome. Cheers
Jayme

Re: Help testing a Camira coil

Post by Jayme »

what ignition module are you using and what sort of trigger is inside your dizzy? if you wire up power, dizzy pickup and coil to the ignition module you should get spark even with ecu unplugged.....
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Its the one that has three plugs from a JD JE model. I have power to the thick pink and get the pulse from the disi (inductive) but cant get a spark. Tried the wet finger on the pickup terminals but nothing. Pickup coil has just over 1K ohm resistance and shows AC output voltage on a multimeter but no spark. I tried another module but the same result. I can start part swapping with known good parts but would like to know how the test the coil.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Is the JD three plug module earthed at the screw holes? Also a good idea to fit it on a heat sink.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Done that and measured the resistance between the module and earth. All good.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ok so I am going to assume that the starion dissy is reluctor ?

so as per the below picture, like jayme said you don't need the 4 pin plug from the delco to even be connected for it to spark.....
camira ignition module wiring.jpg
camira ignition module wiring.jpg (145.32 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
the two wires from the reluctor to the module from what I understand can go either way, but I have always put the positive on a HEI reluctor onto the P on that module plug. (on a holden reluctor the positive has a larger lug than the negative)

you'll then need the two from the coil to the module connected and the right way around .... then the only other wire you will need to get a spark should be the big pink one for power (to fuse #8 in that diagram)

oh and obviously make sure the coil is earthed too ...

I reckon if you can't get it sparking with that then you need to look at weather you have a faulty part or if you have an incompatible pickup.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah the reluctor must be round the right way i remember when holden 202 had them backwards years ago didnt spark retard at rpm :D or it missed and farted
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah im pretty sure it puts the timing out or something funny ... either way don't do it hehe
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah it sparks with wrong polarity but its massively offset timing and the trigger point is not the shap swing in the wave so is unstable too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Thanks 202 the diagram is exactly what I needed. Funny coil with the extra primary but now I fully understand it. The other fellas are right about reluctor polarity. Ford had a batch with the magnet upside down and they blew the cap post off due to incorrect alignment of the rotor/post during spark. The reluctor should work fine, it puts out 200mv during cranking which from my experience plenty to trigger the module. Should be a good day today with the first startup looming. Thanks again for all the help.