How much vacuum at idle
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
How much vacuum at idle
Just a quick question for loggers and tuners. I have a VR V8 and when logging its got 104Kpa key on eng off. Out by 3 yes I know. When idling it reads 37/38 Kpa. This to me equates to around 18 inches of Hg a scale I have used for engine diagnosis for a long time. To me it seems a little low. The engine did go through a very serious overheat a few years ago but has always run extremely well. My concern is not the rings but what would the cam lobes look like at 180000kms. Am I getting overly concerned?
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: How much vacuum at idle
in the 30's is perfectly normal area for stock its around 20.67 inches mercury i run cammed ones at 70kpa idle LOL.the last 304 i rebuilt the valvesprings measured at 40Lb seat pressure but it reved out fine went bloody good bearings were all touching copper 9psi idle oil pressure like they have LOL .totally different engine after a freshen up with new cam and springs and slight skim and port bowl tidy up though.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: How much vacuum at idle
hahahah yeah its very rare i see a motor with 30's at idle!!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: How much vacuum at idle
Mine has 85kpa idles fine. (worked motor though)
What does stock V6 idle at?
What does stock V6 idle at?
-
The1
- Posts: 4852
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am
Re: How much vacuum at idle
my vs ecotec is around 30
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: How much vacuum at idle
my VR idles around 20Kpa from memory.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: How much vacuum at idle
So I suppose its normal for 304 used oil to be like liquid metal like everyone I have changed the oil on?delcowizzid wrote:in the 30's is perfectly normal area for stock its around 20.67 inches mercury i run cammed ones at 70kpa idle LOL.the last 304 i rebuilt the valvesprings measured at 40Lb seat pressure but it reved out fine went bloody good bearings were all touching copper 9psi idle oil pressure like they have LOL .totally different engine after a freshen up with new cam and springs and slight skim and port bowl tidy up though.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: How much vacuum at idle
not really LOL they do sludge up good and proper over the years.i had one i did inlet gaskets and dizzy on for a guy you couldnt see the lifters it just had pushrods coming up out of dirt LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: How much vacuum at idle
every holden v8 I took apart were clean but heavily worn. bearings, cam and lifters, bores too. 308 and 253 were the worst of the ones but plenty of 304s with what id class as low Ks. Most I have come across were done by 200k.
Been disappointed in them longevity/reliability wise. Maybe I been spoiled with the V6s being tough engines lol
here is a 304 with 304k lol. I have never ever seen V6 develop a bore lip even with 500k. In all my engines I pull the piston out the top with no hesitation.



Been disappointed in them longevity/reliability wise. Maybe I been spoiled with the V6s being tough engines lol
here is a 304 with 304k lol. I have never ever seen V6 develop a bore lip even with 500k. In all my engines I pull the piston out the top with no hesitation.



-
krusty
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am
- cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid
- Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: How much vacuum at idle
If you have in the 30s vac she's good. Try adding idle timing to see if it pulls more vac but you'd probably only get even more on the stock cam