old engine

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
ladaok
cars: none

old engine

Post by ladaok »

I thought I posted a thread here yesterday, ... can't see it ... oh well
4cyl 1600 cc ... pretty plain jane no last name, but cam will be changed and swap to IR intake mani
where is the best place to start ? something like the 202 conversion here ? and does $12 p mix with the ' 808
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: old engine

Post by antus »

Figure out where and how to mount sensors and injectors, coolant temp, air temp, map sensor, crank angle sensor off the balancer with coil packs or a reluctor based distributor. 12P is for the '808. Have a look at the text file included with it, write up a list of sensors and figure out how to get it all mounted on the engine in sensible looking places.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the 202 conversion probably has plenty of useful information in it, but it is really dependant on what ignition module you use ... if you have a distributor with reluctor, follow the 202 conversion, if you have a hall effect distributor its similar but uses a v8 ignition module, or there is the option of using a crank mounted sensor and put a toothed wheel on the front of the balancer or notches in the balancer etc.....
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

Ta for the reply

So if I scavenge as much as i can of a VN / VP, they are crank triggered, off the crank pulley, Yes ?
And the Vn/vp ' 808 ' is ok for a 4 cyl ... or should I use an 8 cyl one and take the 180 * pulses I need ?
Is there a list of substitute sensors for the GM OEM
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

for your application the best option would be an N13 pulsar/JE camira computer and loom ... but if that's too hard to find a VN/VP loom would work, but will need more modifications!

any 4 cylinder chip is what you need for your motor, it will have the right cylinder select settings, then the rest will be a matter of tuning to suit your motor, although most camira/pulsar tunes will be good enough to at least get it going.

also if your distributor is electronic already that will make the job easiler and you can use the camira ignition module with it ... but like I said before, you need to decide, dissy mods or crank trigger mods .... that will determine which ignition module you need.

the commodore V6 crank trigger is pretty much a one off to suit that motor and harmonic balancer, so its usually not worth trying to use it, just make one of the above options work.

theres a thread here http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2540 on converting my 202 to use an abs wheel sensor as a crank trigger, and as you mentioned the 202 conversion thread which has the info on converting a dizzy to use camira ignition module.

theres also threads around here somewhere for using distributorless ignition modules, like a V6 coil pack but for a 4 cylinder, they might be worth looking at if you prefer to go that way.

as far as computers and sensors go, VN-VR v6 all used the same engine sensors, and VR V6 manual has the same computer as VN/VP (or near enough to it) and all JE Camira and N13 pulsars use the same computer and sensors as the VN-VR V6's .....

not sure about your car for speedo sensor, you can run without them, but it does make it a little nicer if you have it .... but certainly not a show stopper and you can usually get inline screw in ones or replace the original with a commodore speedo sensor, but that will require a speedo conversion to something that supports an electronic pulse rather than speedo drive .... so the inline one might be better.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

There was a TBI/DIS Niva that ran what looks like an '808 ECU, that would be a good starting point for triggers/sensors/ignition module etc:

An N13 Pulsar loom woud be the easiest way to get the wiring sorted, it's pretty much a self contained loom.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

there are both multipoint and TBI lada efi units that do run a delco similar to the 808 and that will have parts that easy interface to the 808 just like there stock ecu. sourcing a factory trigger system and manifolding would be a good start
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
ladaok

Post by ladaok »

Ok , looks like we're cooking with gas !

Biggest down side to your great references to Lada and Nissan N13 ... is we never had those models in NZ ...mmmm... before I say never I will double check we may of had the Izusu gemini
Would you know about this DelcoWizard ?
As far as the speedo goes ... i'll x that bride when I get to it
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the pulsar that all the aussies talk of with camira style ignition module doesnt exist in NZ i found this out when i went to the nissan wrecker he seen the engine code i had written down and said oh thats them weird aussie ones with isuzu motor or something in them LOL.
weather anyone imported any efi ladas im not sure but ide expect there to be the odd one round the country in lada wreckers surely maybe not .ill see if i can find my french lada efi customers email address he may be able to soarce and post parts
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

You guys got 4cyl Starfire VN-VR commodores over there didn't you?
I assume they'd have a similar EFI setup to a JE camira?