Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by yoda69 »

User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by Jayme »

Ouch!
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by Holden202T »

ok so I can understand car makers being worried about people playing with the electronic steering, brakes, safety systems etc (not that I know of anyone that actually want to) as changing these could have very bad consequences if not done by someone that knows what they are doing, but I see no reason why modifying an engine / gearbox control system needs to be not allowable!

it just seems like they are trying anything that can to stop people doing stuff without going through them, so then they get more profit.....

im sure theres got to be some sort of un-fair trading or whatever going on there, forcing people to have to use one product or one servicing supplier instead of having freedom of choice!

I've owned a few brand new cars and quite a few second hand cars and I don't think there has been a single one of them that I didn't want to modify in some way!

next they'll be saying you can't choose what brand wheels or tyres to run on your own car that you own!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by antus »

Yeah its totally for profit. Fortunately the DMCA is not Australian, but I have a feeling there is probably something in our "free trade" agreements which makes it enforceable here (I dont know, though). Really, tuning a car invalidates its ADRs now, and tuning should be for off road purposes only, or emissions and safety should be re-tested. So none of that needs to change.

The confusion I think comes from around the unlock process where most people consider a PCM that has stock factory security "unlocked" and a pcm where the algorithm has changed to be "locked". Because they can hit "read" in their software and it works, it must be unlocked right? No.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
The1
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by The1 »

it's much like any other industry, just look at movies and music, instead of addresing how they could turn it around to make more money EG offer low cost movie downloads from there own official site, but no they want to lock it down and cause people problems and make money in the courts.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by Gareth »

You pay for it, you own it, you choose to fuck with it and operate it outside the law, then its your problem.

Although this is not australian, it will be...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by VL400 »

I can see a very very small part of the argument, with so many safety related systems now integrated playing with a module could change the behavior of the vehicle but at the end of the day its exactly what antus said - make a change and its no longer ADR compliant unless you jump through the hoops.

Fault finding at the dealer often involves just swapping modules till the car works again, yep experts :P
User avatar
TdracerTd
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 pm
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by TdracerTd »

If this happens, I will be hanging up my driving gloves, buying a prius and taking up golf. All of the appeal for me comes from what a car can be not what it is now. :)
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by Holden202T »

VL400 wrote:Fault finding at the dealer often involves just swapping modules till the car works again, yep experts :P
totally agree, and this is half the reason we are all on this forum, people get shafted at dealers or mechanical shops who have no idea and are happy to just keep chucking parts at it and sending you the bills!

I do all my own car work that I can for that very reason, and having the software/hardware to connect to the car to see what the error codes are gives you a lot of the tools to be on par with the dealers!

the main difference is I have a vested interest in getting my car fixed asap and as cheap as I can, the mechanic you take it to usually doesn't!

prius and golf, fuck that, i'll be racing a modified EFI car till I can no longer due to old age :P
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Aftermarket tuning - what does the future hold

Post by Gareth »

the main difference is I have a vested interest in getting my car fixed asap and as cheap as I can, the mechanic you take it to usually doesn't!
Whooa, really?, how many rich mechanics do you know? Independent workshop owners have only one thing in mind - fix cars, not get rich. All the mechanics I know are passionate about cars, not money. Maybe you had bad experience?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...