Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by immortality »

Recently I modified the MACE CAI in the missus car and ever since the car takes longer to heat up and and it running cooler than the thermostat temp other than when the ambient is ~ >20° C.

It currently has an 82°C thermostat fitted, unknown brand or age as it was fitted to the car when we bought it.

Seems odd that what I would think was a relatively minor change in AIT's could have such a drastic effect on the ECT's. With the engine taking longer to heat it up seems to be using more gas, any suggestions as to what may help reduce this welcome. I'll be putting my old 20% OD water pump pulley on it to see what that does.

It'll get a new thermostat too, just need to source a new hose first cause knowing my luck I'll bust the original one when I remove it.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by vlad01 »

I would check the thermostat. I'm my experience cai only changes coolant temps slightly, more that it cools down to stat temp faster , after heat soak traffic conditions for example.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by immortality »

It'll get a new thermostat shortly.

Just tried my 20% OD WP pulley, made very little difference, engine temps settle at normal operating temps when cruising around town(where it has always been since owning it) but once you hit the motorway those temps start to drop, with the bigger WP pulley it just drops a bit slower and not quiet as far. I haven't got a datalog yet but it looks like it's dropping into the 70's where previously it always sat low to mid 80's regardless of what you were doing (thermo fan always going at low speeds because the AC is on).

It just seems odd that it's doing it now with the only change been to the CAI.
0081
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:01 pm
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by 0081 »

Are you going off the das gauge ? It might not be that big of a change, the dash can show quite a big difference but when you check the logs it could only be a difference of 5 degrees c or so.
I run a larger water pump pulley and it normally sits in the mid 80's
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by immortality »

Just the dash gauge for now, will need to run the logger and see the actual numbers.
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by vs ss »

Just turn on the digital temp gauge,But you will have to do it every time you start the car.
Fine for checking things tho.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by immortality »

Good idea :)
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by immortality »

OK, results.

OO81 your spot on the money, gauge moves a fair bit for only a couple degrees change. Probably explains why the gauge doesn't (or didn't) ever seem to move much once it's at operating temp. It also seem the analogue dash gauge has some lag reflecting what the digital gauge was showing.

Normal running temp seems to be around 84° - 86° C (sitting idle or around town), once on the motorway temps were dropping down to 78° - 79°C. This is with the 20% OD water pump pulley fitted, with the standard pulley it was a little cooler but I think there is nothing major to worry about here.

Now to work out why it's using more gas.
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by VK_3800 »

I've been going back and forth with the tune on the Torana trying to get the coolant charge temp contribution right, particularly now the air cleaner is sealed to the bonnet scoop. It gets some big variations in manifold air temp when you open and close the throttle (same RPM/load point can be very different - anywhere from 35 to 95 degrees!), and seems to need quite a bit of fine tuning to get the right fuel delivery in all cases.

Your coolant temp shouldn't be dropping quite that low though either, if the reading is accurate your thermostat definitely needs replacing. They can vary a lot but under 80 degrees is getting a bit cold, it certainly shouldn't be 4 degrees under the operating temp.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Modified CAI - Engine running cold....

Post by immortality »

Yeah, it probably shouldn't get that cold and it will cop a new thermostat but now it's not quite so time critical, I thought it was running a bit cooler than it actually is.

It'll get a new thermostat when I do the intake gaskets/water pump and give the whole coolant system a big birthday.