Hi, I have a 1972 Landrover Series 2A and it has been converted to V6 VP (Series 2 V6) power using a V6conversion.com wiring kit.
The engine has never been started and only cranks over at this stage. I have recently acquired the truck and am troubleshooting from scratch.
Things I know so far:
1- The ECU is an AWUY9398 1227808 and appears to have the correct AWUY memcal installed. (I have two spare 1227808 ECUs)
2- The engine cranks over strongly.
3- There is spark and injector pulse intermittently but only as the key is turned off after cranking ie as the engine slows from cranking speed to stopped. There is only a split second of spark and pulse during this event.
4- I have 12.6V when the key is on acc at B1, C16 and A6 which I read in this forum should be correct.
5- I have 0.3ohms on all wires from the ECU to Ignition Module and from the CAS to Ignition Module. All these pins appear to be in the correct location.
6- CAS has been replaced with a new unit by previous owner.
7- ECU diagnostics shows code 12, all healthy.
Has anyone seen these engine with spark and pulse only when the key is switched off? Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks Reece
VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
-
reece1804
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:44 am
- cars: 1972 Landrover 88 S2A with VP V6 engine.
VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
Last edited by reece1804 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
Is the power staying on when the key is in the crank position? A6 is ignition source others will be battery.
-
pman92
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
- Location: Castlemaine, Vic
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
Check the power supply's. EFI relay, fuel pump relay and power to ECU.
Maybe the ignition switch is wired wrong and only supply's power to one of these in the IGN ON and not the CRANK position
Maybe the ignition switch is wired wrong and only supply's power to one of these in the IGN ON and not the CRANK position
-
reece1804
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:44 am
- cars: 1972 Landrover 88 S2A with VP V6 engine.
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
Hi Dylan, I just checked and no the 12.6V drops to 0.3V while cranking then back to 12.6V when cranking stopsDylan wrote:Is the power staying on when the key is in the crank position? A6 is ignition source others will be battery.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
That's a problem
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
A6 is ignition on and start only. Other's are battery supply. Double check your ignition module and injector supply too it should be ignition on and crank only too.
-
reece1804
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:44 am
- cars: 1972 Landrover 88 S2A with VP V6 engine.
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
Ok well that's good to find a problem. Would you suggest running a separate 12V feed to A6 and see if it starts?
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
Yeah just loop a battery feed and see if it gets it running then work at a proper switched supply
-
MAGP
- Posts: 665
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
- cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
Having had personal experience with Pat and V6 Conversions my suggestion would be that before you play or do anything else you give Pat a call and work through things with him. Even if it is just for peace of mind.
When I converted my car I had a V6 conversions loom and there was a problem with 1 wire. I called Pat and spoke to him directly, he walked me through the mods they make to looms and where to find what wires (that they add to the looms). 10 minutes later I had my car up and running.
When I converted my car I had a V6 conversions loom and there was a problem with 1 wire. I called Pat and spoke to him directly, he walked me through the mods they make to looms and where to find what wires (that they add to the looms). 10 minutes later I had my car up and running.
-
reece1804
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:44 am
- cars: 1972 Landrover 88 S2A with VP V6 engine.
Re: VP V6 into 1972 Landrover, no spark or pulse
So I traced the pink A6 wire back to the ignition switch and found that the pin it was connected to had 12V only while key is on not while cranking. I checked a spare pin on the ignition switch and that had 12V with key on, 12V cranking and 0V with key off. Swapped the pink A6 wire to that pin and it started straight away! You beauty!
Thanks for your help Dylan Ill buy you a beer if your ever in Perth.
Thanks for your help Dylan Ill buy you a beer if your ever in Perth.