It 'overheated' yest. Its done something similar before.
She was on the phone to me ironically when it happened ; the alarm on the dash went off for high heat, gauge was on H. Pulled over - engine off.
So she 'Facetimed' me so I could have a look.
The thing here ; is that ; theres no indicators to suggest it overheated.
1. She put her hand on the bonnet of the car before she opened it. She took her hand away - her hand was warmer than the steel and I could see the imprint of where her hand was on the bonnet. normally this would be steaming hot.
2. The fans were still running after she took the key out of the ignition. Full speed.
3. No water or coolant pissing anywhere
After the fans chilled out, I got her to turn the ignition to reds. No over heat gauge, gauge read normal. No alarms, no fans. Engine was not seethingly hot. Started car. Everything normal like nothing had happened. She carefully drove home (about 1km) and put the car away in the garage.
I got home from work lastnight and had a look.
1. Water still in overflow - no problems
2. It took about 500ml of water while i re-bled the system.
3. No overheating, nothing. all fine.
4. Best of all no milky oil.
Note in the 12+ years we've had the car, I've never replaced any of the usual culprits, radiators, water pumps, thermostats - nothing. Just done the usual coolant changes along with routine servicing.
My thoughts - couple of things. Air lock, or, seized thermostat, or, possibly (given the fan on condition) faulty sensor in the neck of the thermostat housing.
Appreciate input/thoughts