VZ V6 E55 ECU Failure - New Vs reconditioned

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
mannoant
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:32 pm
cars: Vz Calais

VZ V6 E55 ECU Failure - New Vs reconditioned

Post by mannoant »

Hi All,
New to this forum, have done ALOT of reading and am on a steep learning curve.
I have a VZ Alloytec with the dreaded Fuel gauge & Power Train error.
I purchased the car after it sat with a flat battery for about 2 months (didn't have the error previously). Only way to start was to short the starter relay. It will continue to start whilst warm but the next day the error reappears.

Looks like I need to replace the ECU or get it reconditioned.
I noticed a number of you have a lot of experience in dealing with these ECU's so hoping you can provide a bit of advice.

In your experience is it worth looking to get a second hand unit reprogrammed to my car or purchase a new one?
My concern is if I invest in a used one it may fail soon after whereas I have read that new units are improved/updated from the original ones and more reliable.

Also, any advice on the cheapest or best value for money solution - anyone you could recommend? Car is off teh road so could send ECM/BCM away if necessary (located in SA).

Thanks in advance!
Tony
Tony
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VZ V6 E55 ECU Failure - New Vs reconditioned

Post by Gareth »

By far the best long term reliable fix is for a new PCM from GM.. they have been updated and of the 100 or so that I've installed over the years never had a new one come back :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
mannoant
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:32 pm
cars: Vz Calais

Re: VZ V6 E55 ECU Failure - New Vs reconditioned

Post by mannoant »

Thanks Biggyvl.
Looks like I need research how big a difference in price it is between the two options.I've noticed a couple places say they recondition them.. Is that even possible? I didn't think they would be very easy to work on..
Any suggestions on where the best place to source new one's are? I'm hoping they could be purchased somewhere online direct from the U.S. cheaper given the CraZy price holden quotes.
Similarly is there anywhere or anyone you could recommend that does an exchange type service?
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VZ V6 E55 ECU Failure - New Vs reconditioned

Post by Gareth »

Can be purchased from the states at a much better price if you are prepared to wait, a google search of the part number should send you in the right direction.

Reconditioned unit failure rate has been high in my experience, I don't offer that as an option now...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
mannoant
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:32 pm
cars: Vz Calais

Re: VZ V6 E55 ECU Failure - New Vs reconditioned

Post by mannoant »

Thanks.
Having had a quick look it is cheaper but are the only options for buying new Holden in Australia?
I'd be interested in an exchange type service especially if it could be coded for plug and play in my end. I'm happy to send key fob pcm etc off .
mannoant
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:32 pm
cars: Vz Calais

Re: VZ V6 E55 ECU Failure - New Vs reconditioned

Post by mannoant »

Have done some ringing around and spoke to Injectronics in Victoria who told me they remanufacture and actually repair the unit to correct the issue.
Refurbished unit exchanged and fully coded etc is about $500. Have been quoted $750 new..

Biggy have u ever dealt with refurbished units from Injectronics before?
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VZ V6 E55 ECU Failure - New Vs reconditioned

Post by Gareth »

Yes, And have nothing nice to say...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...