vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

EPA vs Harley

Post by vlt304 »

HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Re: EPA vs Harley

Post by HQ355 »

That's interesting, wonder how it will affect over here ? They'll be taxing us to fart soon, gillard and co taxed us to breathe so it's coming
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Hmm yeah interesting. I think it makes sense that an OEM selling that kind of equipment on a huge scale is out of line, as it essentially paves the way for nobody to care about emissions which is not good for the current state of the world. Having said that nobody wants to be hit with a law suit.... But Harleys pretty massive and if anyone can absorb it, its them and as the article states its small (tiny) compared to VW.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

Very interesting. The whole aftermarket tuning industry just about would come under this. Especially late model diesel 4WD tuning.
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

i think it only applies to the manufacturer making an emmision defeat device with the word street on it. if they marketed it as off street use only the outcome may have been different hard to say tho.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I don't think motor bikes have to comply with any emission regs in Australia so it won't make any difference.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

vlt304 wrote:i think it only applies to the manufacturer making an emmision defeat device with the word street on it. if they marketed it as off street use only the outcome may have been different hard to say tho.
They do (if you read the fine print), the problem is that Harley sells it, the dealers install it, KNOWINGLY that it is fitted to a registered bike that will be ridden on the road.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Charlescrown wrote:I don't think motor bikes have to comply with any emission regs in Australia so it won't make any difference.
They sure do, not to the standard of a car, but they still must comply
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

vlt304 wrote:i think it only applies to the manufacturer making an emmision defeat device with the word street on it. if they marketed it as off street use only the outcome may have been different hard to say tho.
Lies, damn lies, and journalism. Although they show a photo of the "street" device, the article is careful to state that the issue applies to the "super tuner" version, and does not caption or even refer to the image. (And according to the comments the "super tuner" is marked for off road use only).

Depends on how the dealers are selling it and how much input or responsibility the company has into that. Who knows what the problem even is, could just be that the product in question doesn't have the right certificates to prove it passes a certain test. But as usual the article is very short on real information.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I dropped my subscription to the ARD's 3 years ago and till then the only emission reg for a bike was noise. Let me know the reg numbers so I can have a look at them.