Just wondering if anyone knows approximately what a stock tailshaft can take engine torque/hp wise?
I've done a lot of searching but can't shed any light on the subject.
The center shaft and the uni joints are rather small on them so I have always wondered where the limits are with them and how easy do they break when pushing big torque?
VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
-
vlt304
- Posts: 226
- Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am
- cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
i have killed 2 uni's and a center cv in the VL (t5 vs commodore front half vl rear) in no time so not as strong as i would like them to be. i will let you know when i run it up again what torque it makes. only 10 psi on the 5L at the moment so not a huge amount i suspect.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
Been 10.5@129mph on stock shaft 345Rwkw+ same shaft been in there for 6 years
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
I killed one CV, well actually it was faulty from get go (aftermarket) as it was too tight to even move, basically seized. I thought at the time being new it much be how they come and they wear in. 200+ K latter it was still too tight to move and started to chew out.
So that was nothing to do with power, just shit quality. Everything else I have never had issues with regardless of abuse but all of them have been not a lot more than stock v6 outputs.
However an engine design I' m playing with basically an l67 which I'm trying to keep tame simulated at close to 580hp about 550 ft-lb flat line at 16psi but its getting tricky getting it less to save stuff breaking because I will be running the Whipple SC in below its best operating range if I run any lower boost and the pulley be huge potentially hitting the bonnet. Anyway, I can manage with the rest of the drive train holding up but tailshaft I haven't really seen anything thats an upgrade for them.
I feel that with those torque figures the tailshaft will just snap off instantly really damaging the crap out of the car underneath
So that was nothing to do with power, just shit quality. Everything else I have never had issues with regardless of abuse but all of them have been not a lot more than stock v6 outputs.
However an engine design I' m playing with basically an l67 which I'm trying to keep tame simulated at close to 580hp about 550 ft-lb flat line at 16psi but its getting tricky getting it less to save stuff breaking because I will be running the Whipple SC in below its best operating range if I run any lower boost and the pulley be huge potentially hitting the bonnet. Anyway, I can manage with the rest of the drive train holding up but tailshaft I haven't really seen anything thats an upgrade for them.
I feel that with those torque figures the tailshaft will just snap off instantly really damaging the crap out of the car underneath
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
Just put a stronger one in and wind up the boost ! There's plenty of options it just means that you won't be using the std shaft.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
Thats what I mean, what ready options are there? I can't seem to find any other than VL and prior single piece shafts but single piece is a backward step.
The tubing itself wouldn't be an issue especially that its 2 piece, the issue I see is the center shaft. The uni joints are a bit on the small side but they are the same dimensions as the 1310 series which is pretty common in the US cars with big v8s. I read the non greasable, in particular the dana spicer X series forged uni are crazy strong.
For the main shaft i'll run in the T5 I need to use dana spicer 28 spine shaft and they use the 1330 uni with is even bigger. So a least there I need to have the shaft modified for that.
So it there might be a some alternative center bearing and spine setup I can use, dana have a list of catalogs on these bits and probably some of the tailshaft guys would know a thing or two.
The tubing itself wouldn't be an issue especially that its 2 piece, the issue I see is the center shaft. The uni joints are a bit on the small side but they are the same dimensions as the 1310 series which is pretty common in the US cars with big v8s. I read the non greasable, in particular the dana spicer X series forged uni are crazy strong.
For the main shaft i'll run in the T5 I need to use dana spicer 28 spine shaft and they use the 1330 uni with is even bigger. So a least there I need to have the shaft modified for that.
So it there might be a some alternative center bearing and spine setup I can use, dana have a list of catalogs on these bits and probably some of the tailshaft guys would know a thing or two.
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
VF GTS shaft with uni's on the end ? Talk to a few tailshaft joints, they'll work it out from engine power, gears and vehicle weight and then sit you down and give you the price lol.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
Falcon alloy shaft is possible with mods.we've loaded our on the hub dyno holding it at full 21psi of boost at 4000 rpm and on the brakes to about the same and let it off the transbrake heaps no worries.hell when it was t5 we used to launch on slicks at 5800+rpm and sidestep the clutch in both 1st and 2nd on ocassion lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
I was thinking maybe similar setup to vt-vy? with splined yoke end that push together. I recall that is a thicker shaft but i could be wrong. I do know they are an absolute PITA to separate.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?
delcowizzid wrote:Falcon alloy shaft is possible with mods.we've loaded our on the hub dyno holding it at full 21psi of boost at 4000 rpm and on the brakes to about the same and let it off the transbrake heaps no worries.hell when it was t5 we used to launch on slicks at 5800+rpm and sidestep the clutch in both 1st and 2nd on ocassion lol
Are they 1 or 2 piece? probably 1 given ford always cheap out lol