VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by Gareth »

As per the title, im having trouble reading entire from a VE V6. Im using HPT, I have removed the SIR (airbag) fuse in an attempt to unclutter the data line (when doing a factory reflash this must be done) Battery voltage is spot on 12.8V and laptop is plugged in. I have searched high and low on the HPT forum with no luck.

Image

Has anyone had this before?

Cheers.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by ejukated »

I had this issue on older verisons of HPT, it wouldn't read '08 and newer E77 ECMs I think it needed something slightly different to initiate a download. Apparently this is fixed in later version.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by antus »

It looks like an incompatabilty between hpts bootloader code and the pcm. I dont know for sure that that pcm needs a bootloader so i cant say for sure but the preparing stage is where it would upload one (and that succeeds) and hpts software takes over the pcm but if it fails to run on it then it wont start transmitting the bin back. I reckon thats one for hpt support and they might change or fix their code for that osid on that pcm. I doubt bus traffic is the problem because can is pretty good at avoiding collisions (all obs2 protocols are) and even then it would still work, just slowly.

You could try disabling high speed, maybe it'll make the bootloader code function differently and you might fluke finding a work around for the problem.

Edit: just saw ejukateds post. Sounds like they have fixed it. Time to update!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by Gareth »

And this is why I think this site should have a donate button...

Thanks guys, updated and all good, now to get tuning :punk:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by Holden202T »

out of interest, what version where you on that didn't work ?
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by Gareth »

didn't pay much attention, 2.24??? haven't ever updated since I purchased it about 5 years ago :shock:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by Holden202T »

lol that would explain it :P

I know I have done some tweaks for a mate on a VE V6 and it just worked but I generally try to update to the latest version when I get the update emails.
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by ejukated »

It was somewhere in the late 2.24 versions they fixed it.

The E77 doesn't use a custom bootloader it's all controlled by the ECU. Their code is the reason it takes so long to read, hardware etc. is all up to it.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VE V6 VCM 'time out at location 0'

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I recall the VZ Alloytec V6 pcm took 15-20 minutes to get the original bin file from it!