Looking into doing a ECU conversion for a friend that wants to run a LS1 ecu on his VS 5lt, (main reason he wants to go this way is coil per plug, and i don't see any other cheap way of doing it.)
I've seen it done before but still retaining a distributor, and running in low res mode, (who has experience with this that's willing to share experience]? I've been looking into making a reluctor wheel similar to what I've made for my big block Chev. 24 tooth as bellow and modifying a Distributor to be 50/50 cycle, to obtain the signal needed to run coil on plug using a LS1 ecu. I don't believe there would be enough room to put the reluctor internal behind the balancer it would almost have to go on the balancer itself.
Something I've looked into myself actually. To try and help out a few that can't get there delco tuned on the good old 5 litre. Wiring is easy, getting in running in low res mode easy enough when the right trigger wheel in a dissy. But 8 coils like you said is easy enough with the right trigger wheel but mounting it may be a challenge. I look forward to your progress sing out if there's anything I can do. I have a 5 litre in my car but life may be easier with one on a stand.
Does any one know of a wheel that would be close to fitting a 5 litre? I could copy it and make a new one on the mill or lathe to fit the 5 litre. Or am I missing something? Any info would be great
Check out Holden202's thread and VL400's ignition module thread as there is a link to a 32-1 interuptor wheel that he's used on his 202 conversion. They are to small to use with the 304/308 engines/balancers but it would give you something to work from.
Something similar to above machined up as part of a gilmour drive system would be cool
Thanks for pointing this out Psyolent, never seen it before.
Dylan look at the pic of the holden 5lt second post, External crank angle looks easy enough. turn the CAM into 50/50 on/off for 360 rotation.
Been going to do this myself but take the easy way out and go low res. If you can make an easy fit trigger wheel I'm all for it. Sold my car this week so no 5 litre to practice on, had a bloke approach me with a good offer couldn't say no. But still keen for more wiring projects. I still need to hit you up to with a dissy trigger wheel anyway when jobs settle down here.
i looked into COP for my no compression 5 litre as well in the hilux - seems its easy enough to do. the CAS could be made out of the guts of a dizzy to tell it where things are at no problems.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.