VS series 3 5.0 PCM changing to manual

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vl_nick
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 pm
cars: VL Wagon & VS Series 3 5.0 Auto

VS series 3 5.0 PCM changing to manual

Post by vl_nick »

Hi there, new user here, I couldn't find a place to introduce myself so please point me in the right direction if required.

I did a bit of searching but couldn't find a definite answer so a bit of advice from anyone who knows is appreciated.

I have a VS series 3 ute 5.0 Auto. I am putting the engine from this car into my VL and at the same time I am changing to a Getrag manual.

From what I have worked out the harness is different from auto to manual but the PCM is the same, just a different memcal? The manual harness would not have all the auto wiring on it and from what I have read the speed signal wiring is different. Is this correct?

What I think the easiest solution for me is that I simply find a manual harness and manual PCM to buy from a VS 3 or VT and then sell mine. I would much rather a manual harness than cutting mine up to remove the auto wiring or having bulky auto wiring to hide somewhere. Is there another way to make this work?

If it helps my PCM is service number 16234531 CJYN.

I have spoken with an ebay seller who removes VATS and also has told me that they can turn off the auto parameters in the memcal so it will work fine with manual. Is this true?

I appreciate any help and any other problems to look out for before I begin the conversion. I believe that the more planning I do the less dramas I will find.

Cheers
Nick
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VS series 3 5.0 PCM changing to manual

Post by Dylan »

Hi, easiest way is as said. Find a correct manual harness and re program memcal to suit and keep your current ECU.
vl_nick
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 pm
cars: VL Wagon & VS Series 3 5.0 Auto

Re: VS series 3 5.0 PCM changing to manual

Post by vl_nick »

so the PCM is the same and it is as simple as getting the memcal programmed to manual at the same time as VATS is removed?

I hopefully have someone who will swap me for a manual harness so I hope its that simple

Can anyone confirm if there are any differences with speed signal wiring?

Chees.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VS series 3 5.0 PCM changing to manual

Post by Dylan »

Getrag and auto run the same speed signal. Same ECU yes. If you need help with the memcal just message me. Steer clear of eBay I've fixed to many from there.
vl_nick
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 pm
cars: VL Wagon & VS Series 3 5.0 Auto

Re: VS series 3 5.0 PCM changing to manual

Post by vl_nick »

Thanks for your help Dylan. Could you please PM me details and price involved if you can remove VATS from my ECU and change it to manual?

Cheers