VS 728 ECU U/S

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
fortunato_0d
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm
cars: VS commodore
EH sedan

VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by fortunato_0d »

Hello,

How do I test the ECU (728) for faults etc?
I've changed the motor in a VS.S3
The motor cranks. I've confirmed spark at DFI module. Replace fuel filter, and pump. Checked fuses, relays etc.

Ive tried to read CEL but it does not come on at all.

If I bridge the fuel pump it works, but relay will not activate. None of the relays (fuel pump, thermo, l p)will trigger, yet they all work if bridged
I bought the car with a U/S motor, so I dont know history.

The manual suggests it may be a faulty ecu. Is there any way to test it?
I'm looking to buy a new/used ECU from fleabay if I have to.

Thanks in advance.
fortunato_0d
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm
cars: VS commodore
EH sedan

Re: VS ecu 728 possible u/s

Post by fortunato_0d »

I have checked the PCM using this thread as a guide

viewtopic.php?t=12&p=30

I'm getting 12v to A8 and B8 but when ignition is turned on no voltage comes back to the fuel relay wire (A6)
Using start-ya-bastard down th intake allows the engine to cough but then stops.
Last edited by fortunato_0d on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by vs ss »

.
Last edited by vs ss on Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by vs ss »

Out of curiosity, is everything else in the car working? Like blower motor and headlights.
Last edited by vs ss on Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by vs ss »

.
Last edited by vs ss on Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
fortunato_0d
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm
cars: VS commodore
EH sedan

Re: VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by fortunato_0d »

Duh, I'm an idiot. I forgot this plug. thanks vs ss

Well, it now gets power to the fuel pump to allow it to prime.
the CEL light comes on, it give a code of 12....

But will still not run tho. just turns over. Checked the engine fuse it good.
yes lights, horn radio etc work, no blower motor unless its bridged

could it be low oil pressure?
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by vs ss »

.
Last edited by vs ss on Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
fortunato_0d
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm
cars: VS commodore
EH sedan

Re: VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by fortunato_0d »

@vs ss thanks for you help.

have done all you have suggested this afternoon.

- spray start-ya-bastard it coughs and growls then stops. haven't seen engine running. changed oil and filter today to be sure it would be right.
- tested engine fuse and power source, working/power as you have suggested.
- took of injector wiring getting +12 with ingition on.

am runnig the pcm/bcm reset thing now. ignition on for 2hours with drivers door open

haven't checked spark plugs for over fueling, but can't smell fuel.
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by vs ss »

.
Last edited by vs ss on Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
fortunato_0d
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm
cars: VS commodore
EH sedan

Re: VS 728 ECU U/S

Post by fortunato_0d »

lol all good. you have to ask.

Put fuel in it earlier, only a 5 litre drum though.
the fuel lines are corect i believe. the outlet closest to the brake booster is delivery it goes to the pressure regulator. the one closer to the tunnel is return.
I have a spare fuel hose from the old motor. I pumped some fuel into a bucket to be sure.

Plugs look damp, but that would be the start-ya-bastard I would think.

How would I check the injectors. do you mean check they spray fuel?