$12p corrupt as soon as RW jumper installed

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
BARBS
cars: LJ Torana
Injected, Turbo, NO2, 186

$12p corrupt as soon as RW jumper installed

Post by BARBS »

Hi all,

I have been trying to tune a car and have had no end of issues with my NVRAMS, 3 of them have become corrupt in this manner outlined below:

I install the new NVRAM to the 808 with a comms card and RW wire soldered on but RW jumper off. Power up the ecu and connect with the laptop no issues using $12p v112, I can load the bin from emulator to laptop with no errors, The car starts fine. Shut down the car, install the RW jumper and power on the ecu. I can no longer connect with tunerpro RT and the car won't start. Only the BIN that is active becomes inoperable. I switch over to the other bin and can connect etc no dramas but follow the above steps and I end up with an NVRAM that is totally useless! I have sent 2 of these back to Gareth and reported back that they are both corrupt.

Today I tried a new NVRAM from Gareth. Same scenario but this time inbetween the attempts on BIN1 and BIN2 I updated TunerproRT to the latest version but no joy.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and what the resolution is? I have a customer's car sitting here that has been waiting for a tune for weeks now.

I have done dozens of $12pand $11p no issues at all but for some reason it won't work now. I'm using the same laptop and cables as I always have.

Massive thanks

Barbs
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: $12p corrupt as soon as RW jumper installed

Post by antus »

Is there an electrical short from the write wire to the ecm case? If there is, that'll trash the nvram as every time the cpu reads data, its (over) written instead. check your wiring and try it without the case on the ecm, and the ecm sitting on a piece of cardboard. If that works you know its an electrical problem with the case and the RW wire. While you can mostly get away with it also check you are installing the original nylon plastic end plate in the end the ecm case that supports the ecm main board away from the case at the end with the lid.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

This is the part im talking about. You can see the gap at the top of it lines up with the slot on one side of the cap, and the bottom side of it has a piece that goes above and below the pcb to hold it away from the case. From factory there is also a small cork cube in there. Often both of these pieces are removed in the life of the ecm, and its just components that keep the pcb off the edge, but its a lot closers and more likely to short your RW line.

If I ever have an ecm that is missing the cork cube and the plastic PCB holder I cut out a piece of cardboard and side it in between the pcb and the case so that there is something there to keep it clear.
Attachments
20220204_165038.jpg
20220204_164953.jpg
20220204_165324.jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BARBS

Post by BARBS »

Thanks for the reply Antus.
I have tried with the ecu sitting outside the case and on the carpet of the car. I have also tried a completely different ecu with no luck.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

What version oseplugin? I have heard a rumour 1.8 might be bad but nobody is talking to me directly about it and it worked for me so I assumed it not true. If your on 1.8 can you go back to the latest 1.5x and try that and see if your problem goes away?
BARBS

Post by BARBS »

I was using 1.5 on the first bin today and 1.8 on the second bin. I don't have an NVRAM here that I can connect to anymore so have to wait for my 2 to rock up from Gareth next week before I can try. I'll loadtunerpro onto a new laptop and try with 1.5 and start fresh
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Ok. That rules out the plugin then. I strongly suggest you get a programmer if you keep using this kit while you shouldn't be getting corruption like this it can happen from time to time and Im sure your understanding the postage and time costs to you at the moment. If it used to work with all the same hardware and not now, Im not sure what to suggest. I'll have a think about it.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

antus wrote:Is there an electrical short from the write wire to the ecm case? If there is, that'll trash the nvram as every time the cpu reads data, its (over) written instead. check your wiring and try it without the case on the ecm, and the ecm sitting on a piece of cardboard. If that works you know its an electrical problem with the case and the RW wire. While you can mostly get away with it also check you are installing the original nylon plastic end plate in the end the ecm case that supports the ecm main board away from the case at the end with the lid.

People run there ECU's in the case? I had mine sitting on the carpet for years.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

hahaha I think most of us have been there!
BARBS

Post by BARBS »

Another update: I am still having issues.
I have loaded tunerproRT onto a new laptop, loaded the 12p zip off the forum, loaded the stacked bin on with a chip burner and connected to the ecu no dramas again.
As soon as I put the RW jumper on it corrupts the BIN and can no longer connect. I am stuffed if I know what the cause is.