Oil on plug 304 v8

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Baillie122
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:46 pm
cars: Vt commy

Oil on plug 304 v8

Post by Baillie122 »

Hi I have smoke coming from spark plug hole when running I pull the plug and it has oil on it.
Done a compression test and it is running at 115 psi as are all the others.
Wondering where the oil is coming from.
Thanks Alex
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Oil on plug 304 v8

Post by vlad01 »

Either worn bore or valve stem seals or probably both. Pretty common with the aussie made Holden engines, especially once past 200k.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Oil on plug 304 v8

Post by Charlescrown »

Am I reading this right. You have smoke coming out from around the spark plug when its running. If that's the case the plug is not sealing in the gases. Have a close look at the seat area for something that would not allow the plug to seal properly. If the plug is not seating correctly the engine will most likely pre-ignite which can lead to sudden death.
MudDuck514
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:30 pm
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E
Location: North TX, USA

Re: Oil on plug 304 v8

Post by MudDuck514 »

Possibly a leaking valve cover gasket allowing oil to seep into sparkplug pocket.
Or, possibly a broken seal around the sparkplug insulator (yes, I had a friend that had this happen).

Mike