Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Hey all,

Just thought I'd start a topic as I normally just ask people in the know(sorry to harass individuals... you know who you are).

But I'm still using NORDvpn as a previous recommendtion... is there bettter & cheaper out ther A.T.M.?

With web browser I've just switched all the Brave & seems to be amazing for tracking & all the other B.S. again I am not sure is there better out there to utilise?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by vlad01 »

I just use firefox for it's pretty good compatibility and handy features like a built in smart snip/screen shot tool that way better than anything Windows has. Also has the lowest CPU overhead than all the other common browsers I have used, especially in video playback.

For blocking ads I used UBlock origin and Adblock plus in case one or the other misses something.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:I just use firefox for it's pretty good compatibility and handy features like a built in smart snip/screen shot tool that way better than anything Windows has. Also has the lowest CPU overhead than all the other common browsers I have used, especially in video playback.

For blocking ads I used UBlock origin and Adblock plus in case one or the other misses something.

That's the same as I have.
Chuff
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by Chuff »

vlad01 wrote:I just use firefox for it's pretty good compatibility and handy features like a built in smart snip/screen shot tool that way better than anything Windows has. Also has the lowest CPU overhead than all the other common browsers I have used, especially in video playback.

For blocking ads I used UBlock origin and Adblock plus in case one or the other misses something.
Exactly the same here but I also use PIA as a VPN.
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by ironduke »

I just use flip between Chrome and Edge.. I need to use Edge for some work applications so I use chrome for everything else. I run Adblock for chrome extension and seems to work ok for me..
I do use privatevpn and I'm on my second year of it. There's a 1 yr deal for something like $60 with 24months free and I'm on my second email account with them, lol.. It can be very useful at times and I just use it as needed..
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by Dylan »

Anyone using a PiHole for ad blocking?
Work's well for me. I don't use a VPN.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by immortality »

Dylan wrote:Anyone using a PiHole for ad blocking?
Work's well for me. I don't use a VPN.
I was using Pihole but after a while it crashes and locks up my Pi which then needs to completely re-installed etc. Not sure why it's happening :(
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

All good info thanks for all the advice!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by antus »

immortality wrote:
Dylan wrote:Anyone using a PiHole for ad blocking?
Work's well for me. I don't use a VPN.
I was using Pihole but after a while it crashes and locks up my Pi which then needs to completely re-installed etc. Not sure why it's happening :(
Pi crashes are often due to low voltage. In my experience if you have a way to run it at 5.1v or 5.2v instead of 5.0v or with a larger (more amps / current) supply that extra little bit of head room helps greatly with stability.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by immortality »

That's interesting. Fairly sure I'm using the power supply I got with the Pi. Might have to see what else I have around.