Hey All,
I was recently alerted to this forum and after reading several threads over the past hour or so, it's clear the work you guys have done is phenominal!
Currently i'm running a low-mount turbo V8 with :
- Delco/Kalmaker 808 w/ RT board and Serial/RS232.
- Full JE Camira loom & ign module w/ Bosch magentic reluctor dist.
I also have a Willem chip burner I have used to convert my SRAM from N03 to N05.
I have a pretty decent tune on the vehicle currently and have been happy with Kalmaker, but from the short amount of reading I have done here, I can see some benefits.
Some questions if I may...
1. Does the OSE12P package feature all of the many 'standard' variables as in Kalmaker?
2. Given my current hardware, what would I be required to change exactly?
3. Can I transfer my current bin or do I need to transfer variables manually and create an all new cal?
Thanks guys any information would be of great help
Cheers
Mick
Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
-
cycomick
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:52 am
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
Welcome along
1. Does the OSE12P package feature all of the many 'standard' variables as in Kalmaker?
- 12P is based on the VR manual $12 code so contains all the standard features of that plus extras. In the the 12P thread it has whats different from standard ... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356
2. Given my current hardware, what would I be required to change exactly?
- Just burn the 12P bin to your NVRAM.
3. Can I transfer my current bin or do I need to transfer variables manually and create an all new cal?
- Need to copy things over manually, not too hard as there is an SP3 XDF so can be in windows doing copy/paste with a little excel work for the larger tables. But be warned! Kalmaker has some issues/differences and even transferrring everything over will not mean an identical tune. I dont know why it does this but have spent some time with another forum member trying to transfer over SP3 to 12P. Bench testing identical load points produced different inj pulse widths along with finding a few little surprises in SP3 like picking the 20kPa column whenever you hit 80kPa MAP.
1. Does the OSE12P package feature all of the many 'standard' variables as in Kalmaker?
- 12P is based on the VR manual $12 code so contains all the standard features of that plus extras. In the the 12P thread it has whats different from standard ... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356
2. Given my current hardware, what would I be required to change exactly?
- Just burn the 12P bin to your NVRAM.
3. Can I transfer my current bin or do I need to transfer variables manually and create an all new cal?
- Need to copy things over manually, not too hard as there is an SP3 XDF so can be in windows doing copy/paste with a little excel work for the larger tables. But be warned! Kalmaker has some issues/differences and even transferrring everything over will not mean an identical tune. I dont know why it does this but have spent some time with another forum member trying to transfer over SP3 to 12P. Bench testing identical load points produced different inj pulse widths along with finding a few little surprises in SP3 like picking the 20kPa column whenever you hit 80kPa MAP.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
VL400 wrote:finding a few little surprises in SP3 like picking the 20kPa column whenever you hit 80kPa MAP.
This is interesting ... obviously you've used a blue motor v8 electronic dissy for this .... got me thinking, would there be any disadvantage to having this setup over the normal 304 dizzy/ignition module ?cycomick wrote:- Full JE Camira loom & ign module w/ Bosch magentic reluctor dist.
only reason i wonder is because if your 304 ignition module dies it can be quite costly to repair and that makes this conversion very appealing!
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10016
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
Hi There,cycomick wrote:Hey All,
Currently i'm running a low-mount turbo V8 with :
- Delco/Kalmaker 808 w/ RT board and Serial/RS232.
2. Given my current hardware, what would I be required to change exactly?
Tunerpro RT 5 requires Windows XP or newer, and if you have such a system with a built in serial port, that will be fine. If you dont and wish to use a newer laptop with a USB->Serial adaptor then you need one which can handle the delcos non-standard speed of 8192baud. A safe bet is one of VL400s interfaces, or an ebay item that advertises an FTDI chipset. There have been reports of some prolific chipset devices (the most common generic type) being able to do this speed with a registry hack (see here https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=31&t=592 ) but its apparent that not all are capable, thus FTDI is the preferred option.
Use Tunerpro 5 with the plugin here: https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... ?f=3&t=590
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
cycomick
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:52 am
Re: Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
That’s some good information there. Thank you very much all.
I have a 4/5yr old Dell Inspiron in storage, running XP, with serial port, so it may be the solution.
I used a brand new Bosch magnetic reluctor distributor ‘blank’, locked the internals and machined the housing and gear drive to suit my application. I then just used a JE Camira harness with a slight cut and shut to add the 4x injectors. The Camira module is common to many vehicles including Pulsar, Daewoo, many GM vehicles and I have seen some aftermarket units from Holley also. It’s seems plenty good enough for my application which redlines at 3850rpm.
Looks like switching over will be a scratch tune essentially, with the addition of some great tuning aids.
I will have to dust off the laptop and start getting the software together.
Thanks a lot guys, this is very exciting stuff for this and future projects.
Cheers
Mick
I have a 4/5yr old Dell Inspiron in storage, running XP, with serial port, so it may be the solution.
I used a brand new Bosch magnetic reluctor distributor ‘blank’, locked the internals and machined the housing and gear drive to suit my application. I then just used a JE Camira harness with a slight cut and shut to add the 4x injectors. The Camira module is common to many vehicles including Pulsar, Daewoo, many GM vehicles and I have seen some aftermarket units from Holley also. It’s seems plenty good enough for my application which redlines at 3850rpm.
Looks like switching over will be a scratch tune essentially, with the addition of some great tuning aids.
I will have to dust off the laptop and start getting the software together.
Thanks a lot guys, this is very exciting stuff for this and future projects.
Cheers
Mick
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
out of interest, what exactly is your application? such a low redline, is it a big block of some sort?
-
cycomick
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:52 am
Re: Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
Hey Jayme,
The vehicle is an International short wheelbase Scout 4x4 with a 345ci (5.6 litre) iron, V8. These are the same engines used in the International ACCO trucks in the 70's.
They're a very strong industrial engine designed for pulling serious weight all day every day.
Stock, these engines are fitted with a 2barrel Holley and single point igntion which pumps out about 120kw.
I have converted mine to a 4 barrel manifold from the larger 392 engine, EFI hardware 4 barrel throttle body, Drilled the manifold for 8xBosch '868' injectors and have recently fitted a single, low mount turbo alongside the sump. It also has water to air intercooling.
It's a very similiar feeling to a turbo diesel to drive, except with a much more pleasant note!
Cheers
Mick
The vehicle is an International short wheelbase Scout 4x4 with a 345ci (5.6 litre) iron, V8. These are the same engines used in the International ACCO trucks in the 70's.
They're a very strong industrial engine designed for pulling serious weight all day every day.
Stock, these engines are fitted with a 2barrel Holley and single point igntion which pumps out about 120kw.
I have converted mine to a 4 barrel manifold from the larger 392 engine, EFI hardware 4 barrel throttle body, Drilled the manifold for 8xBosch '868' injectors and have recently fitted a single, low mount turbo alongside the sump. It also has water to air intercooling.
It's a very similiar feeling to a turbo diesel to drive, except with a much more pleasant note!
Cheers
Mick
Last edited by cycomick on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
fabmec
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:25 pm
- cars: Landcruiser 355 80 series
Landcruiser Isuzu powered 45 series
Au Falcon - Location: Macalister, Qld
Re: Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
I did a multipiont conversion on a mates IH Scout with a 345 about 3yrs ago , using an '808' and 5d code. 12p code is on the to do list when I get the dyno up and running again. We used an RPT alloy intake from the states arleady set up to take injectors, modified an old point dissy to take a sigma pickup (screws down like a set of points), camira/ pulsar module, vn v6 harness (appropriately modded), modded 600 holley with tps & iac as thottle body.
Just make sure you have ugraded your valve springs, or it will be near impossible to tune, most cyl head shops these days don't even check them. i've seen seat pressures as low as 35 - 40 lb (new std spec 65lbs) which won't work with a turbo or too many revs. Use aftermarket springs with 95 -100lb seat pressure & engine redline rpm can be increased to 4400 and be able to handle turbo back pressure. The 392's in the trucks were governed to 3200 rpm. The other thing is electrical interferance - major ones are are spark plugs (make sure you use resistor plugs even though they aren't specd for your engine), voltage drop & bad earths, and if you have the original dash the bi metal voltage regulator for the guages ( I found a radio noise suppressor on each side of it works well).
Graham
Just make sure you have ugraded your valve springs, or it will be near impossible to tune, most cyl head shops these days don't even check them. i've seen seat pressures as low as 35 - 40 lb (new std spec 65lbs) which won't work with a turbo or too many revs. Use aftermarket springs with 95 -100lb seat pressure & engine redline rpm can be increased to 4400 and be able to handle turbo back pressure. The 392's in the trucks were governed to 3200 rpm. The other thing is electrical interferance - major ones are are spark plugs (make sure you use resistor plugs even though they aren't specd for your engine), voltage drop & bad earths, and if you have the original dash the bi metal voltage regulator for the guages ( I found a radio noise suppressor on each side of it works well).
Graham
-
cycomick
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:52 am
Re: Delco / Kalmaker 808 compatability
Hey Graham,fabmec wrote:I did a multipiont conversion on a mates IH Scout with a 345 about 3yrs ago , using an '808' and 5d code. 12p code is on the to do list when I get the dyno up and running again. We used an RPT alloy intake from the states arleady set up to take injectors, modified an old point dissy to take a sigma pickup (screws down like a set of points), camira/ pulsar module, vn v6 harness (appropriately modded), modded 600 holley with tps & iac as thottle body.
Just make sure you have ugraded your valve springs, or it will be near impossible to tune, most cyl head shops these days don't even check them. i've seen seat pressures as low as 35 - 40 lb (new std spec 65lbs) which won't work with a turbo or too many revs. Use aftermarket springs with 95 -100lb seat pressure & engine redline rpm can be increased to 4400 and be able to handle turbo back pressure. The 392's in the trucks were governed to 3200 rpm. The other thing is electrical interferance - major ones are are spark plugs (make sure you use resistor plugs even though they aren't specd for your engine), voltage drop & bad earths, and if you have the original dash the bi metal voltage regulator for the guages ( I found a radio noise suppressor on each side of it works well).
Graham
That's interesting stuff. I will be re-building the engine at some stage anyway and going thru all of that. That said, i haven't had any tuning issues so far running it up to 4k.
Those alloy manifolds are good, but amazingly, the stock cast iron manifolds have what looks like already cast-in injector bosses at the top of each runner, right behind each intake valve!
Of course these were likely a datum or fixture for the manufacturing process, but they are just perfect to drill out for 14mm injectors.
The dash I need to look at, it has CVR problems so the gauges are not accurate.
Thanks for your tips and interest. It's good to hear from someone with some IH knowledge!
Cheers
Mick