JAW V1.03 Wideband Controller And Display

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
delcowizzid

JAW V1.03 Wideband Controller And Display

Post by delcowizzid »

Well as you know I took delivery of a JAW (Just Another Wideband) wideband controller and display today from Alan at http://www.14point7.com for some development and testing and to give it an impartial reveiw.I wasnt even expecting it to arrive yet i didnt even know it was on its way yet.then yesterday I got a notice in the mail that i had a parcel to pick up as it wouldnt fit in the mailbox.so i grabbed someones pushy and off to the mail delivery centre I went and low and behold a package from Canada woooo I know what that is I thought couldnt wait to get home and assemble it.about 20 metres from the post office the chain snapped on the bike noooooo now i have to walk home which is wasting valuable time :evil: anyway finally made it home and opened my parcel.

inside was 2 cuircuit boards of nice quality which were fully silk screened and coated with protective sealant very nice for when it comes time to solder as i found with VL400's boards the solder doesnt cross tracks and only pools where it is meant too.also in the package was all the required resistors capacitors chips and connections etc.
jawboardmain.jpg
jawboardmain.jpg (65.61 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
by the time it was unpacked the iron was allready hot ready to go so i got stuck in.resistors and diode first as the instructions off the website said this was a quick task.next were the max232 and the other small chip soldered one side lot of pins at a time being carefull not to heat the chip and checking temp between pins and letting it cool if required.then the atmel went in the most important one as you cant just duck down the shop and get one as the boot loader needs to be programmed on before it goes in and being that i dont have a copy of that i was being extra carefull with this one .all went in no worries making sure it stayed cool in the process.soldered in the connector for the display and for the sensor and the serial connection easy as .the only thing i can think that would be a nice addition would be some pads to solder the serial port retainers too on the circuit board as they are just pushed through the holes in the board and most of the strain will be on the pins but it is secured in there well anyway.slapped in the caps and the 2 regs and heat sink and she was done.
jawboardass.jpg
jawboardass.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 7940 times
the display took another few minutes to do. all up took about 30mins .allow an hour max for a steady reliable job it needs good solder joints if you want it to work good and reliable. no dry joints here all look nice and wet just what you want.so i dragged out my testbench power supply after making a coffee crossed my fingers and powered it up for a test with no sensor .low and behold worked first time nice bright screen with a resistor slot which you can change the resister value if you want brighter or dimmer.
IMG0084A.jpg
IMG0084A.jpg (317.29 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
IMG0085A.jpg
IMG0085A.jpg (271.7 KiB) Viewed 7936 times
I have allready blown the Zener diode by accedent by an accedental reverse polarity but i just removed it till i can get a replacement and its all still working i was a bit worried for a few minutes that my new toy/tool had lasted no more than a few minutes since completion but a quick search on the JAW forum soon pointed me in the right direction as to why it wasnt going due to the protection diode so all is well.great resorce the forum has a list of know compatable sensors and usb>serial cables.and many other topics to help with any issues.but lots of whingers who most likely stuffed up there assembly.

as i stand now I feel it is a great unit at a great price sure the regulator might get a bit hot when i get a sensor in there but thats no worry to me even if the sensor only kast 5 tunes on 5 cars ill be happy enough but im sure it should last a while if taken care off.I dont really plan on it being a continuously mounted every day replacement for the narrowband only as a tuning tool so should last for ages.cant wait to get a sensor and get this thing going properly and test its accuracy and refresh rate.

I poached one of alans picks of a completed unit and display im sure he wont mind just my camera is shite most of the other pics are my phone camera cause its better than the digital camera i have.
jawboards al.jpg
jawboards al.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 7934 times
now the software after battling for over 3 hours to get my PC to be freinds with microsofts .net 2.0 redistributable package :evil: bloody microsoft i do blame the slow as old PC as well its well past its useby date.but i finally got it all going started the software plugged in with my cheap prolific usb>serial cable hit get firmware and away she went ready to go i havnt bothered to try flashing any firmware updates as yet as it works as is and why mess with something thats allready going so far.ill be doing some more researce into the firmware revisions before i go flashing one in yet.
software pics OK heres one
jawsoft.jpg
jawsoft.jpg (161.6 KiB) Viewed 7936 times
later versions of the software have a different setup but very similar but you can detach the seperate windows and maximise the ones you want but im happy with what i have for the next few days.will get back over on there forum for a refresher coarse in the jaw software its been a fair few months since i was last over there.

features include
1x wideband sensor input ,
1x RPM input upto some crazy amount of revs ill never get up to,
2 x 0-5 volt inputs MAP volts etc
1x serial output to laptop
1x external remote display
2x programmable outputs for narrowband simulation and if VL400 works some magic hopefully a 0-5 volt o2 input to the ecu to be displayed in ALDL logs and on screen on scannerpro while tuning :D .

right a pic or 2 more and my novel is over for now till i get my sensor here.
IMG0082A.jpg
IMG0082A.jpg (109.12 KiB) Viewed 7927 times
IMG0079A.jpg
IMG0079A.jpg (110.32 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
i still have to make a box for the unit and a seperate one for the display too but i might go see what dicksmiths or jaycar have on off for some hacking of probably install a fan or pc processor radiator setup on the heatsink as well.and make a nice little display case fir easy mounting in the car it comes with an 85cm ribbon cable so plenty of length there too.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: JAW V1.03 Wideband Controller And Display

Post by VL400 »

Nice write up there delcowizzid :) Alan has done a fantastic job on that kit and cant wait to see it up and running on a vehicle and part of the ALDL stream for data-logging.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah im just beginning my box for it now ducked out to dicksmiths this morning and got a project box and some nice plugs and what not to hopefully make a worthy box for it just making some holes trying to take my time and not stuff it up.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Installed In The Box

Post by delcowizzid »

well box pretty much done going to add a fan somewhere yet and still need a good 6 pin plug for the wideband sensor to plug in dicksmiths didnt have anything.used bulkhead mount RCA sockets for the two voltage outputs for narrowband simulation and the rpm input and the two 5 volt inputs for MAP etc so it can be quickly attached and removed from any vehicle.used a 2.1mm DC line cable relief socket for 12 volt power input so it too can be quick dissconnected and ill also probably make a cigarette lighter socket so it can plug in there too.nice hole for the heatsink and for the serial port just finishing cutting a slot for the ribbon cable for the display then its ready to test.i will solder the 3 input wires to the board after testing so i can still remove it for now if needed.and ill glue the board in with some form of adhesive when ready too.
horrible pics but you get the idea.you may notice one RCA socket is the wrong size there was an odd one in the pile i bought will have to replace it later in the week.still dont know what im going to do for the display case might have to try find some inch square perspex or even some round that i can form to shape with some heat.even white pvc pipe would do it ide just leave a cutout for the screen will have to see what i can come accross
IMG0086A.jpg
IMG0086A.jpg (238.77 KiB) Viewed 7878 times
IMG0090A.jpg
IMG0090A.jpg (302.96 KiB) Viewed 7870 times
IMG0091A.jpg
IMG0091A.jpg (267.45 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
IMG0092A.jpg
IMG0092A.jpg (268.28 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
IMG0088A.jpg
IMG0088A.jpg (223.41 KiB) Viewed 7856 times
Matt_vp
cars: Turbo v6 vp wagon
vy lumina

Post by Matt_vp »

Well done man, looks good.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

well jaw is all hooked to my sensor thanks mario :D works well calibration value is high around 113 where by rights it should be at 0 give or take a few but cant expect too much with an old used sensor still it goes to 10.14 A/F ratio when i stick the lighter under it so its working as it should.the wiring could do with tightening a bit on the screw connector might help too.and its running off a 12 volt 4.2 amp laptop charger but that should be ok.regulator didnt really get overly hot sure its hot but you can touch the heatsink with bare fingers and not instantly stick to it and melt flesh so its not too bad and when its in the exhaust with the engine heating it i dont think it will be too hot anyway.will still run the little computer fan i have in the case anyway.heat sits nicely around 16 as it should on the logger display.now i just need to find a wideband cable from a vw or VX commodore so i can make a nice sensor lead to run to the engine bay and ill be sweet and happy as.so if anyone has a wreck they can hack up the harness on im keen as.seems there were some other goodies in my bag of tricks with the sensor nice threaded bung to weld in the exhaust and a block off plug and a nice knock sensor so i can make some more tuning tools :D happy happy joy joy I love my new toy.me thinks i might buy the 1.041 JAW version now.will keep everyone informed on later testing hopefully during the week in a car and will go from there but for the price looks promising to me
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

good to see that its a goer .... be interested to see some logs once its in a car!! as im sure you will.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah hopefully try it incar this week with the old sensor for a start just organizing a new one.should find another map sensor to mount in the case too that would be cool still heaps of room in there yet even with the fan.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

well after my jaw finally dieing a natural death after i fed power in backwards alan at jaw offered me a replacement but due to there being a wait for his parts to arrive for the next batch and me not being able to wait due to needing to go tune a car i opted for his latest creation and man im glad i did.its the new NAW 7S wideband controller its no bigger than a tictac packet and comes with a 4 segment LED display its in its own case with only assembly of the display too be done which was a simple task.it doesnt log data like the jaw but thats no biggy really as long as i can see realtime A/F ratio im happy.i was going to use it too tie me over till i can get another jaw but its such a nice little unit its going to be hard to give it up too go back to the jaw for logging etc.i assembled and tested it today now just to fit the sensor into an exhaust and really test it out i will be getting a comparison of the readout against the wideband on the dyno when i tune this car on the weekend to see how close it is.
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg (21.56 KiB) Viewed 7667 times
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg (28.32 KiB) Viewed 7668 times
NAW_7S Features:
Fully assembled wideband controller with machined case
DIY digital display kit included
60mm x 50mm controller dimensions
Uses the lowcost Bosch LSU 4.2 Wideband oxygen sensor
0.01 Lambda
0-5v programmable Linear Voltage Output
Simulated Narrowband output
USB connectivity
Free air calibration
Onboard sensor temperature display
Digital PID temperature controller
Digital PID pump cell controller
60 day money back guarantee
6 month warranty

he also makes a display unit that works with any wideband controller that has a 0-5 volt output pretty good peice of gear and is all open sorce so you can even make your own boards and burn the chip yourself using the open sorce files. watch this space for results of testing if it goes as good as it looks ill be recommending people buy these they are the cheapest controller on the market by far.hmm now the long wait to try it out :cry:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

delcowizzid wrote:he also makes a display unit that works with any wideband controller that has a 0-5 volt output pretty good peice of gear
with a bit of configuring you should be able to get that input fed into a $12P .....