Hi all.
I've been struggling to connect Tunerpro and get things going. I've read everything twice. Time to ask for help.
NVRAM, USB Comms, cable and files from here. Spartan WB not installed yet. I have a GQ4X4 also.
Windows 7. I have two ecus, one stock, one with NVRAM and USB Comms.
89 VN Exec, Rebuilt 304, flatops, 10:1 comp, 226/232 .505/.523 112lsa crow cam
In short i get the Tunerpro error message when trying to initialize and the NVRAM corrupts after about a second of cranking.
Car runs but doesn't idle on stock ecu and memcal. Runs but no idle with stock memcal in modded ecu with nvram removed.
Initial run in and timing was done on stock memcal. Tried upping the idle on the Crane 284 bin from here, but no good.
I'd love to get this running and be able to tune and learn. There's a bin here for a solid cam much bigger than mine that idles at 900rpm, so i'm sure this stuff all works. So far i can't even connect. I'd not have gone down this path if i knew i'd be struggling this much.
I wrote a much longer post with a fuller timeline but it disappeared, so apologies if i come across short.
Any more info needed let me know.
VN Tunerpro Help
-
seabreeze
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am
- cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Instant nvram corruption sounds like a problem with the RW wire install on the back of the modded pcm. Check that and either way take the RW jumper off and get it working in write protected mode to validate everything else then look to solve this. Modded PCM works exactly the same as normal with the stock memcal as there is nothing on the other end of the wire like there is with the nvram.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
seabreeze
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am
- cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Thanks for your quick reply antus.
RW jumper has never been installed on NVRAM. I removed the RW wire at the back of the modded pcm, and resoldered the usb comms. NVRAM still corrupts. Also, I had the mouse plugged in on Tunerpro startup and it went haywire, which has never happened before.
I did take note of the NVRAM led and it goes out straight away with ignition off. It's meant to stay lit for a couple seconds according to instructions and some posts i've read here? Power led on usb comms is steady, Tx flashes on connection and attempting to initialize. Not sure if Rx is meant to flash, but nothing from that led.
I'm sure there is something i'm missing or not doing properly, a setup step, wiring, windows config or update, plug in sequence... I'm not sure what to try next. I might get a fresh nvram and see if that helps.
RW jumper has never been installed on NVRAM. I removed the RW wire at the back of the modded pcm, and resoldered the usb comms. NVRAM still corrupts. Also, I had the mouse plugged in on Tunerpro startup and it went haywire, which has never happened before.
I did take note of the NVRAM led and it goes out straight away with ignition off. It's meant to stay lit for a couple seconds according to instructions and some posts i've read here? Power led on usb comms is steady, Tx flashes on connection and attempting to initialize. Not sure if Rx is meant to flash, but nothing from that led.
I'm sure there is something i'm missing or not doing properly, a setup step, wiring, windows config or update, plug in sequence... I'm not sure what to try next. I might get a fresh nvram and see if that helps.
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
The read/write jumper is a little black jumper pin on the actual nvram itself. Curser going across the screen is a settings issues. Go into device manager, coms ports I think it is? You need to have your cable plugged in and go into that. There like advanced settings or something in there and they’ll be a box that’s ticked that needs to be un-ticked. Essentially your laptop thinks your cable is a mouse so you just turn that off. Rx tx leds are just data transmission lights from my understanding and will flash when data is sent or received.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Yeah its harder to find the answer to the issue about the mouse, but it used to be a common windows problems also people with a GPS device plugged in get the same problem where windows boots up and sees something plugged in and thinks its a mouse even though it isnt. If its a laptop and has a trackpad, not a mouse, also look for a mouse to uninstall. If it does have a mouse, be careful because if you uninstall the wrong thing you'll end up pointerless.
Light going out straight away when you key off means its not running at all. It shouldnt be able to corrupt without the RW jumper on, so its likely that you have a problem with your flash process or what you are putting on the nvram, and its not corrupting, it sounds like its wrong in the first place and cant run the car. When you write the nvram you should use one of the 'stacked' bin files from the original zip, then upload your calibration once its booting up and in car.
Light going out straight away when you key off means its not running at all. It shouldnt be able to corrupt without the RW jumper on, so its likely that you have a problem with your flash process or what you are putting on the nvram, and its not corrupting, it sounds like its wrong in the first place and cant run the car. When you write the nvram you should use one of the 'stacked' bin files from the original zip, then upload your calibration once its booting up and in car.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
VTXU8
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 am
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
For your cable. Try downloading and installing FTDI driver. May help with the mouse issue.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
There a registry hack solution here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/922 ... rial-mouse
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
seabreeze
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am
- cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
I only mentioned the mouse because it hasn't happened before, or i'd never noticed. It only went haywire after i removed the RW wire at the rear of the modded pcm as suggested by antus above. Felt like a positive step, or at least a change in outcomes.
I think it is my nvram as i cannot write to it. I'm just dragging and dropping the 12p blcf V8 128kb stacked bin. Tries to write but doesn't verify. Read gives me mostly ff and a few ca. No trick i am missing here?
I will order a new nvram. I will update when that arrives.
I feel like the dumbest person in the room doing all this. But i guess it's part of learning.
Thank you gentlemen for all your help so far.
I think it is my nvram as i cannot write to it. I'm just dragging and dropping the 12p blcf V8 128kb stacked bin. Tries to write but doesn't verify. Read gives me mostly ff and a few ca. No trick i am missing here?
I will order a new nvram. I will update when that arrives.
I feel like the dumbest person in the room doing all this. But i guess it's part of learning.
Thank you gentlemen for all your help so far.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Are you takeing the chip out the nvram when you program it? Had someone else was using their own home made adapter the other day and leaving it in the nvram and that was their problem.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Nah definitely not dumb bud. We all have issues with things not working from time to time. I got a new laptop the other week and had the curser issue after plugging in my cable. Then my little brother asked me to turn vats off on a vt tune for his mate and for the life of me, I couldn’t get my Willem burner working. I do remember the pcm he gave me smelt fried (burnt) so he had a spare pcm and worked like a charm.