Tuning VN V8 ECU

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Tuning VN V8 ECU

Post by Asho88 »

Hi all I'm a noob to all of this I've played with a Haltech found that pretty straight forward looking to possibly fit an NVRAM to my car but honestly struggling to find easy to understand info to get started. I've managed to find a VS tune on here which was a start but without knowing what I'm doing it doesn't help much and it doesn't appear anywhere near as adjustable as the Haltech (well in the ways I want to adjust basically fuel and timing). Can anyone point me in the direction of a VN V8 Xdf? Also can you explain how I use a BIN file and what it does? Also explain an ADX file? Cheers
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Tuning VN V8 ECU

Post by Charlescrown »

Fuel and timing are fully adjustable with your VN. I wouldn't muck around with the VN program and go to 12P which is a much improved program to play with but it does require a larger memcal and I prefer using a flash chip for faster erasing. I have never used a nvram so I can't comment. I drive/log/tune. There are so many adjustable variables in the program so I suggest you take your time and read the available manuals on ths site before making any changes and make minor changes as you go. I keep a copy of all my program changes awaiting a disaster to occur which probably will.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Tuning VN V8 ECU

Post by Asho88 »

Ok cool yeah just managed to bring up the spark table which is a plus bit of progress on the learning side. Biggest issue is a can’t find a VN map closest I found is a VS map which uses a Maf. Oh ok I’m not sure what 12p is but will look into it. What did the bigger memcal come in or how do you get one? Where can I get a flash chip lol. Yeah nor have I just seems like the most straight forward way. Yeah that’s how I approached my old haltech setup when I was using it. Got about 30 old tunes each named the date and what changes I made. Cheers
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Tuning VN V8 ECU

Post by Charlescrown »

The fuel map is the VE table. It represents the theoretical volume of air entering the cylinder and if you increase the number the ECU adds the appropriate increase of the volume of fuel in simple terms a richer mixture. You need to download a program called Memcal ID tool which should have your program and XDF so you can view and change it in TunerPro. You should find it on this site I believe it was written by theone. 12P is a modified program from a VR manual and the memcal needs to be at least 256K where the VN only has a 128K. It's designed for a manual transmission. The memcal is the removable chip under a removable cover on the end of the ECU and it will have a number like AFTZ9887. I see they do have a different program for manual and auto but the ECU's are all 808's and interchange. Get the number off your memcal, download the program and have a play.