E38 odometer and prog date

E38 E92 and many others. Approximately 2007 and newer
tpepmeie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2024 12:59 am
cars: 2007 Z06 racecar, 2003 C5, 1993 ZR-1

E38 odometer and prog date

Post by tpepmeie »

Looking through a couple of E38 binaries at the moment. Could someone point to the last programming date and mileage location. I've found vins all over the place, seed, key, and what I believe to be the Immo code (between the seed and key?).

Can't find the date and mileage, though. Nothing obvious in ASCII text, like the other things.

It's interesting how they use the two EEPROM areas. Sometimes one is blank, and the other area has values, and sometimes the other way around. I've even seen some with data in both sections. I thought I saw Tazzi or somebody say they write to one entirely, and erase the other section.

Todd
User avatar
Gatecrasher
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: E38 odometer and prog date

Post by Gatecrasher »

I thought I saw Tazzi or somebody say they write to one entirely, and erase the other section.
That's basically it. It's EEPROM emulated in flash. There's a few good Freescale/NXP docs that explain how it all works to minimize rewrite wear on the flash memory.
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: E38 odometer and prog date

Post by Tazzi »

Location of those parameters can slightly vary depending on the operating system of the ECM.

This is why people get corrupted ECMs (semi bricked) from flashing an operating system into an E38 that uses slightly different emulated eeprom offsets, which results in the seed,key,vin,ect all being in wrong locations.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
MPC001
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 11:41 am

Re: E38 odometer and prog date

Post by MPC001 »

tpepmeie wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2025 2:56 pm Looking through a couple of E38 binaries at the moment. Could someone point to the last programming date and mileage location. I've found vins all over the place, seed, key, and what I believe to be the Immo code (between the seed and key?).

Can't find the date and mileage, though. Nothing obvious in ASCII text, like the other things.

It's interesting how they use the two EEPROM areas. Sometimes one is blank, and the other area has values, and sometimes the other way around. I've even seen some with data in both sections. I thought I saw Tazzi or somebody say they write to one entirely, and erase the other section.

Todd
Which OS's? as Tazzi noted, locations vary a bit by OS.
tpepmeie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2024 12:59 am
cars: 2007 Z06 racecar, 2003 C5, 1993 ZR-1

Re: E38 odometer and prog date

Post by tpepmeie »

OS 12614676 is the one I'm working on. Found the programming date. Mileage, not yet. Its probably as obvious as the date was when I found it :)
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: E38 odometer and prog date

Post by antus »

Can you do a read, power it up, run a signal to the vss to click it over a bit, then ign off power down and re-read and see what changed?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: E38 odometer and prog date

Post by ironduke »

Maybe try a 1A DF request. That's used for odometer requests for other ecms.. My e38's in my personal vehicles don't store mileage afaik. They're stored in the IPC..