BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Wiring diagrams and questions
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by vlad01 »

Hey all,

Drove my sister's ute today on this miserable vic winter day and realized the entire dash except the cluster is dead.

I recall she mentioned the AC and radio didn't work, but not a single HVAC item or the radio works. So there is no way to defrost the windscreen as there is no heat, no vent control or blow fan. So I had to drive with both windows down in the rain so I could at least defog the inside windscreen enough to see while I went to the town over to get what hay I could for the animals. Still dire with the aftermath of the drought here in Vic.


The only thing that works is the cluster, and steering column stuff like lights, wiper, indicators etc... But everything on the dash pad side is dead as dead can be, and apparently there is no default fail safes in Fords it seems, not even the ability for heat to draft out naturally when the car is moving like in the Holdens.

I did a bit of a google, and it seems common, but not a mention on the fix or where the problems is.

If anyone knows and it's something easily fixed, please do post. Maybe this thread could be the only one on the net with a solution :lol:

She is away on holidays, so the least I can do is try to fix it, as this is bad and dangerous driving around with no way to defrost the windows without getting rained on, I had no idea that literally nothing worked, I thought it was just some of the stuff like radio, AC which isn't so important, but this is a real issue.

She mentioned that a few mechanics looked at is, but none found the issue which I call bs and they are just being lazy, fuses are obviously ok and got power on them, so it has to be further down the line I'd say, but I know jack shit about these cars.
VTXU8
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 am

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by VTXU8 »

Sounds like the ICC module is F'd and needs replacing. Secondhand ones are pretty cheap. Easy to remove and plenty of vids on "how to" https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=uYi2b44AHIQ
VTXU8
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 am

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by VTXU8 »

If you follow the video. The part where it ask for CODE, I found that if just leave the acc's on for about 10 mins the CODE will sort itself out and will no longer appear and no need for calibration.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by vlad01 »

Looks like there are several types, does that matter? I only found ones that look fancier than what's in the ute despite saying it's for the same model, it's a lot more basic than what I found on ebay it seems, unless my memory is playing tricks?

When I get a chance, I'll post a photo up.
VTXU8
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 am

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by VTXU8 »

Only difference i know of is one has dual zone automatic climate control with the big colour screen and the other is manual control with the small screen. Either single or 6 stack cd player
User avatar
pman92
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
Location: Castlemaine, Vic

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by pman92 »

You'll need to relink the audio module afterwards with a scan tool or forscan, otherwise it will have the audio code error.

The hardest part is unplugging the 4x BEM plugs. You will probably break the trim piece at the top.
Other than that they are very easy to remove
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah her mechanic should hopefully be able to do that. I'll ask if she wants to go ahead once I determine which unit suits her ute once she's back from her holidays.


Seems stupid they would make all the basic roadworthy requirements of ventilation system and what not rely on on something like this which appears to be a common issue.
oldtinfords
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 am

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by oldtinfords »

There are several fuses for the ICC & HVAC. I've seen people remove the fuses to check them & not put one back in the correct location, so the fuse/s are missing. Make sure there's a good fuse in each location where required. Fan wiring also burns out at the fan itself. Check it hasn't burnt & blown a fuse.
Grab FORScan or a decent workshop scantool & make sure they find the HIM module & ACM module. Fault codes will also help with correctly diagnosing where the fault or faults are.
If you get stuck, there's a bloke over Gippsland area in Vic that diagnoses & repairs these. Also does the dash out & mixer shaft replacements in a few hours where most workshops allow a day.
User avatar
AngelMarc
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by AngelMarc »

Not familiar with Aus naming, but I've had to replace CAN wires to fix that problem before. Specifically was a 2013 Durango. HVAC, Radio, and gauges. That was after replacing the entire under-floor cab harness because of a fire in the back. Think it was just Chrysler changing pinouts for no damn reason. Put it off for a couple days because I didn't want to cut that new $400 harness.
Don't stress specific units.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: BA-BF Falcon, Entire dash dead except cluster. No HVAC either.

Post by vlad01 »

I haven't got around to looking at the ute again since I started the thread, been a bit crook and the weather has been awful too, so I've been inside mostly since then.

But I'll start with the fuses and power since I can't take the mechanic for their word that she takes it to since they don't really do electrical repairs. They are primarily a tyre fitter and basic service/mechanic second from what I gather.