TLC, sps2 and programming wirelessly.

E38 E92 and many others. Approximately 2007 and newer
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

TLC, sps2 and programming wirelessly.

Post by ironduke »

Just a quick heads up, I got kinda pissed off when the suits and tie people decided to restrict us to program only wired..

I can kinda understand it for those shops that crash and brick modules with what seems a fairly consistent frequency.

My shop though has not bricked a module programming in a very long time, about the only modules regularly failing is the telematics in the new trucks and the front cameras but those are bricks when they come in.
I have been programming wirelessly since the mdi came out, I haven't lost an ecm or tcm yet programming wirelessly that I can remember. Some of the earlier vpw ecm's were touchy but that was true wireless or wired.
We're a small shop, one sub $200 walmart router near the center of the shop. Key learns, etc have all been fine wireless with occasional issues.

Wired key learns suck because half the time the mdi2 disconnects and you can't reconnect because it thinks your already connected, smfh.. Wired programming sucks for me because I regularly will program a recall job while the lube kid has the vehicle on his lift for a lof and rotate. Job gets done a lot quicker with 2 of us working on it at the same time.. That's been gone..

In any case there's 2 different methods to get wireless programming back.. 1 is very easy and the other is slightly more involved.. second method even lets me perform VWP events wireless, not sure if I want to give that one away just yet

First method.. at least until they patch it.

Start TLC and connect to a vehicle with mdi/mdi2.
Now with the dashboard loaded and showing the vehicle click on the mdi icon near the top left to disconnect the mdi/mdi2.
With the mdi/mdi2 disconnected click on sps2 and let it load and it should bring you to the screen asking for a repair order number.
Click the MDI icon again and connect to the mdi/mdi2. Once connected type in the repair order number and click on next.
Easy peasy...
V8fan
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:27 pm
cars: Astro VAN

Re: TLC, sps2 and programming wirelessly.

Post by V8fan »

When I worked in GM dealership I programmed a lot of cars via WIFI and never had problems with that
And I prefered to use wifi because wires and ports at MDI often was halfbroken and any move can end programming ( 2 MDI for nearly 15 technicians )
But looks like something changed since 2016 ?)