Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
rjdrew1986
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by rjdrew1986 »

I'm trying to identify the EEprom in a 2005 LeSabre BCM (Denso PN 10389601). The EEProm is an SOIC8 labeled S330 DVS2 6290. AI search indicated its likely equivalent to '93C66A' (8bit) or '9366B (16bit).
Is there anyone who could help with identifying the correct EEprom type?
User avatar
pman92
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
Location: Castlemaine, Vic

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by pman92 »

What's the pinout?
If you can identify power and ground pins. Address pins. Serial data or clock pins. It will help working out what it is.
rjdrew1986
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by rjdrew1986 »

Thanks for the reply. Searches indicated that Denso most commonly used '93C66A' (8bit) or '9366B (16bit) in their BCMs. I read it as a '93C66A' (8bit) and nothing looked recognizable. However reading it as '9366B (16bit), everything seems to look valid (VIN, etc) to the extent that I can tell. I'm hoping to make a spare BCM that will be plug-n-play, which I'll try tomorrow. If all is successful, I'll post the details for others.
rjdrew1986
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by rjdrew1986 »

I was able to make a spare BCM for my 2005 Buick Lesabre. The physical part about connecting directly to the EEprom & reading / Writing the binary is the same as what I posted for the radios
( viewtopic.php?p=134564&hilit=Radio+VIN#p134564 ) .
Except for selecting the EEprom type. Google AI indicated that Denso liked to use 93C66a (8 bit) and 93C66b (16 bit). I found that when selecting the 93C66b (16 bit), the EEprom content looked correct. Ultimately I was able to successfully read the original and write it to the spare.

Here are a few interesting foot-notes:
- As best that I can determine, the Lesabre BCM PN changed in (probably) 2004 from a Denso PN 25712809 to a Denso PN 10389601.
- The module is located just behind the glove box on the 00-05 LeSabre's.
- Though the module is most often referred to as the Body Control Module, the LeSabre factory service manual sometimes refers to it as the BCM (Body Control Module) but more often the DIM (Dash Integration Module). But on all of the replacement parts commerce sites its referred to the BCM.
- I 'think' some of the traditional BCM tasks 'may' have shifted from this module to another module on the LeSabre's? I say this because with the module fully disconnected, there were some functions that worked that I would have expected not to work. For example, it appears the FOB and key IDs all seemed to still work, the power windows and doors still worked and the car's mileage was retained (with the module fully disconnected). I do have VATS disabled in the PCM, which may explain for some of the functions that still worked. But there were other tasks that did not work, such as the auto headlights & Key-in chime. Perhaps someone else has more precise information as to task assignments for each module on the LeSabre's.
- I've ordered a spare Rear Integration module which I will try next and post the results.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by antus »

Good work. Thanks for posting the update!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
rjdrew1986
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by rjdrew1986 »

A nice gentleman in the Buick Forums says that he thinks there are actually two modules and the one that I just posted about is a Dash Integration Module. This would help to explain why more functions than expected worked. This is very confusing because so many references indicate that both Denso PN 25712809 to a Denso PN 10389601 are BCM's for the LeSabre. If anyone has knowledge that can help clear this up, please share what you know. In the meantime I'll keep investigating and post an update with 'accurate' information once I know what is truly accurate. The worst case scenario is there is another 'real' BCM which I will need to perform the same EEprom copy routine.
rjdrew1986
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by rjdrew1986 »

According to my Factory Service Manual the Body Control System is comprised of the following (3) modules.

1. The Dash Integration Module (DIM). I think most commercial references refer to this as the BCM.
2. Instrument Panel Integration Module (IPM).
3. Rear Integration Module (RIM)

Thus far, I'm unable to physically locate a 4th module (but of course, I could be overlooking it). I've asked the gentleman on the Buick Forums if he could provide the part number and a close up photo. If anyone else could help shed any light on this, it would be most appreciated.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by antus »

If you can find complete service information with complete wiring diagrams or module locations you should be able to look or search for what is on the data bus. What year and model are you looking at?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
rjdrew1986
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by rjdrew1986 »

Thanks Antus, taking your advice, I've looked at several stateside GM dealerships websites who in recent years are promoting their online presence for OEM parts. These online parts portals do a fairly good job of listing all parts with drawings/photos. These sites show (3) components within the 00-05 LeSabre 'Body Control System' which is consistent with what the factory service manual shows. I 'think' this concludes that the 00-05 Body Control System has become a distributed control system comprising of the following (3) modules (all of which have been discontinued).
1. The Dash Integration Module (DIM). I think most commercial references refer to this as the BCM.
2. Rear Integration Module (RIM)
3. Instrument Panel Integration Module (IPM).
When the spare Rear Integration Module arrives, I plan to verify that I can create a spare using the same EEprom copy. It will also be interesting to see what functions do not work when the Rear Integration Module is disconnected. I suspect that some traditional 'BCM' tasks were shifted to the Rear Integration Module. Then I'll do the same with the IPM.
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Trying to identify the EEprom in my BCM

Post by ironduke »

Can't help much with EEprom work but I do have access to SO so I can pull schematics, etc.
2005 Lesabre schematics.zip
This might come in handy for some people. It's not all true since sometimes the odometer is stored in more than 1 location but it's still handy..
Odometer reference guide.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.