E98 or E98a, and reading os.

E38 E92 and many others. Approximately 2007 and newer
bjohn118
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2025 12:39 am
cars: 69 Chevy C10
79 K5 Blazer
05 HD RoadKing
12 Camaro ss
12 Civic si
14 Silverado 1500
17 Diesel Cruze
23 Chevy Blazer

E98 or E98a, and reading os.

Post by bjohn118 »

Hello all, first off I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, I'm still very very new to the more technical side of of tuning and somewhat new at tuning in general. Anyway I am currently working with a 2017 chevy cruze diesel with a manual transmission. Im trying to access parameters that hp tuners or efi live dont allow access to in their programs. I have both an mpvi2, and a flashscan v2 but it's been awhile since I have used efilive.

One problem I am facing is trying to identify which ecu i have. I have read the oem file with both hptuners and efilive and one tells me its an E98 and the other says It's an E98A, however they both list the same os as 24000207. Is there anything different between the 2 or is it just a glitch?

I have tried to read the ecm with PCMHammer but I'm not having any luck. I assume it's a problem with the cable I'm using, It's a mongoose opus ivs MG PLUS Honda2. Yes I know it's a honda cable but It supports j2534 so I thought it might work. Plus I had it anyway and figured it would be worth a shot, but either I'm not setting it up correctly or it just wont work. It does read info from the car with the j2534 tool box but in PCMHammer it gives an error 0x0001.

I guess my main questions are,
1. How do I determine the model of the ECU for sure.
2. What do things like ALDL, VTV8, $54, JE $54, and yz-yx(made this one up but remeber seeing that format) mean?
3. Is there something I'm missing to get PCMHammer working the mongoose opus? Do I need something like J2534-Sim?
4. Would anyone have .bin file, XDF file, or an ori file for this thing so I don't have to buy another tool just to get it?

Sorry for the noob questions but there is so much info on the webs that it's difficult to stay focused and know what knowledge is actually needed.

Thank-you in advance, any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: E98 or E98a, and reading os.

Post by antus »

Pcmhammer does not support that PCM, or any can bus computers.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Tre-Cool
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car
Location: Perth

Re: E98 or E98a, and reading os.

Post by Tre-Cool »

Ive got an e98 bin file from my colorado.

If you can post the hpt file, I might be able to convert it to binary, from there once you modify it, u could at least open it in efilive again & correct any checksums before flashing.
bjohn118
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2025 12:39 am
cars: 69 Chevy C10
79 K5 Blazer
05 HD RoadKing
12 Camaro ss
12 Civic si
14 Silverado 1500
17 Diesel Cruze
23 Chevy Blazer

Re: E98 or E98a, and reading os.

Post by bjohn118 »

antus wrote: Sun Aug 24, 2025 12:21 am Pcmhammer does not support that PCM, or any can bus computers.
Ok, thankyou. Do you have a suggestion on what to use or how to obtain the oem file? Can it even be done through the odb2 port or does it need to done on a bench?
bjohn118
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2025 12:39 am
cars: 69 Chevy C10
79 K5 Blazer
05 HD RoadKing
12 Camaro ss
12 Civic si
14 Silverado 1500
17 Diesel Cruze
23 Chevy Blazer

Re: E98 or E98a, and reading os.

Post by bjohn118 »

Tre-Cool wrote: Sun Aug 24, 2025 2:15 am Ive got an e98 bin file from my colorado.

If you can post the hpt file, I might be able to convert it to binary, from there once you modify it, u could at least open it in efilive again & correct any checksums before flashing.
Awesome, Im sure you understand what im trying to do then. I looked into converting the hpt file but couldnt find a way to do it. Even tried to get the efilive file to binary with no results. I added the hpt file along with a GM SPS pdf for the car as well, i tried to upload the ctz efi live file but it says file is to large. I really appreciate it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ironduke
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: E98 or E98a, and reading os.

Post by ironduke »

Something like this? Can't help with anything except for the bin, lol
17chevycruzeasfound_exported.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bjohn118
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2025 12:39 am
cars: 69 Chevy C10
79 K5 Blazer
05 HD RoadKing
12 Camaro ss
12 Civic si
14 Silverado 1500
17 Diesel Cruze
23 Chevy Blazer

Re: E98 or E98a, and reading os.

Post by bjohn118 »

ironduke wrote: Mon Aug 25, 2025 12:24 pm Something like this? Can't help with anything except for the bin, lol
17chevycruzeasfound_exported.zip
Thankyou ironduke, i have looked at it but no real in depth yet. i think i might need an xdf file but not 100 percent sure. I did load it into efilive v8 and it does show the dtcs for the 3 associated parts need shut off and and removed, however, i would have thought it had some tables or something associated with those parts as well, i could be over thinking it though and might just need to edit the dtcs.
bjohn118
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2025 12:39 am
cars: 69 Chevy C10
79 K5 Blazer
05 HD RoadKing
12 Camaro ss
12 Civic si
14 Silverado 1500
17 Diesel Cruze
23 Chevy Blazer

Re: E98 or E98a, and reading os.

Post by bjohn118 »

Is there a prefered tool to flash these? EFILive vs HPTuners? or is it more of a personal preference. I ask because i have heard some have had troubles with EFILive and some suggest the use of can termination plugs with EFILive, but i havent seen where HPTuners needed them. Also im curious if there is possibly a script to make the changes i need to make for efi live.