Tps not working when engine is underload

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Tps not working when engine is underload

Post by Asho88 »

Hi guys me again haha got it idling nicely still need to adjust it as the stepper motor is reading 195 but that's another issue any help would be appretiated lol. Anyway the reason I'm here is the car was stumbling when put into drive leaning right out anyway I noticed the Tps isn't reading when it it's loaded up. I noticed just before I shut it off it's going from open to closed loop maybe my issue. Where would I change that? Should I change it if not any help? cheers

Vh 253 with VN v8 injection and mild cam running $12p cheers
buzzard
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Tps not working when engine is underload

Post by buzzard »

In the closed loop parameters, closed loop minimum coolant temperature, and closed loop minimum coolant temperature while idling, set both to maximum value 151.25 deg C. This will disable the CLC. If your engine gets above that temp, CLC being active won't be much of an issue !.

Asho88 wrote: Sat Aug 30, 2025 2:02 am Hi guys me again haha got it idling nicely still need to adjust it as the stepper motor is reading 195 but that's another issue any help would be appretiated lol. Anyway the reason I'm here is the car was stumbling when put into drive leaning right out anyway I noticed the Tps isn't reading when it it's loaded up. I noticed just before I shut it off it's going from open to closed loop maybe my issue. Where would I change that? Should I change it if not any help? cheers

Vh 253 with VN v8 injection and mild cam running $12p cheers
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Tps not working when engine is underload

Post by Asho88 »

Is it a bad thing it’s going into closed loop? Should it? Hahaha I think it’d be dead well before then cheers
buzzard
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Tps not working when engine is underload

Post by buzzard »

It's not necessarily a bad thing for the engine to run in closed loop, however during system setup/configuration there is generally a significant amount of time where the engine runs at idle. Some engines may tend to carbon foul the spark plugs under these circumstances, and leaner mixtures are more difficult to ignite. When you find this circumstance, often the engine will refuse to run at a leaner mixture.
Asho88 wrote: Sat Aug 30, 2025 5:11 am Is it a bad thing it’s going into closed loop? Should it? Hahaha I think it’d be dead well before then cheers
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: Tps not working when engine is underload

Post by Asho88 »

Yeah fair enough. Yeah have fouled plugs but that's all apart of it lol. Hopefully changing that will stop closed loop from playing with the throttle body. Do you think it activated because of a lean mixture? I didn't realise at first so was giving it fuel didn't help because the tps was blocked out.