peer review request (speed density P59)

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
User avatar
AngelMarc
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.

peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by AngelMarc »

CB450(9-8-2024)ForBroke.bin
Been wanting some input.
Not having a vehicle to test on, and not knowing how to get good logging, limits how much I can verify.
It acts like speed density, but isn't actually custom code.
It's a very butchered "tune".
If I'm right, you can do a bunch of AB comparison and figure it out, then nobody needs HPTuners for that, even people that have emissions concerns.
I'm sure I have a couple hundred hours into reading, changing, and testing.

And maybe somebody will know why it won't get out of the closed throttle spark table.
https://youtu.be/g_Q6pFgmySY?si=8hXZEqtp5v18lpN-&t=24

For anybody new looking into this https://universalpatcher.net/download/
Free software, requires a J2534 or a few other cheaper option dongles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't stress specific units.
User avatar
Knackersjewels
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu May 05, 2022 10:24 am
cars: Stock VZ SV6
Cammed VZ SV6 (sson to be 6L45 converted and twin turbo)
VY SS L98 ute
VZ V6 AWD One Tonner
Location: Maffra, Vic

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by Knackersjewels »

What sensors do you have installed? Looks like maf deleted, but the VE table isn't tuned at all. Do you have MAP and TPS?
dubcrazy8392
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2025 10:57 pm
cars: -1981 6.0L LQ4 swapped C10 (aka lumpy)
-2000 silverado 2500 (daily work horse that does it with style)

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by dubcrazy8392 »

There isnt much custom coding that needs done to have speed density honestly. all of the logic behind a decent speed density system is in the P59 but the problem i seen how most apply it is more of a hack that sort of cripples the ECU more than it helps it. The guy who did boost OS was on the right path with making P59 more of a genuine SD system. if your running 12587603 OS i could probably give you a patch that would basically give you proper SD function out of the ECU. none of that hacky disable fault codes stuff and force it into limp mode. also you could patch table axis's that use grams per cylinder or whatever and make those axis's MAP instead. grams per cylinder is pretty pointless with SD since its more of an air flow calculation and with SD your using an air pressure calculation instead so it only seems fitting to fix the axis's.
User avatar
AngelMarc
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by AngelMarc »

Knackersjewels wrote: Wed May 27, 2026 11:29 pm What sensors do you have installed? Looks like maf deleted, but the VE table isn't tuned at all. Do you have MAP and TPS?
All I used was crank, MAP, and IAT. Literally everything else was disconnected. There's a value for what counts as open throttle, I tried setting that to zero, and the TPS default higher than zero, still didn't leave closed throttle table.
The "tune" was just some numbers that got it to run, then I changed the entire table to see the exhaust flames change from orange to blue. Beyond that, I did some scanner live data to verify timing was doing what I set and there weren't any modifier tables left changing it.
Don't stress specific units.
User avatar
AngelMarc
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by AngelMarc »

dubcrazy8392 wrote: Thu May 28, 2026 2:25 am There isnt much custom coding that needs done to have speed density honestly. all of the logic behind a decent speed density system is in the P59 but the problem i seen how most apply it is more of a hack that sort of cripples the ECU more than it helps it. The guy who did boost OS was on the right path with making P59 more of a genuine SD system. if your running 12587603 OS i could probably give you a patch that would basically give you proper SD function out of the ECU. none of that hacky disable fault codes stuff and force it into limp mode. also you could patch table axis's that use grams per cylinder or whatever and make those axis's MAP instead. grams per cylinder is pretty pointless with SD since its more of an air flow calculation and with SD your using an air pressure calculation instead so it only seems fitting to fix the axis's.
I don't know when I'd actually make time to try it, but I'd like to try the available speed density patches. Finding out all I want to find out, sucks up a lot of time. There's a certain simplicity I'm aiming for, and if they don't meat it, I'm moving on.
Have you seen my scratch built 24x ECU code? There's not much I want to add to it. I want to port that to a sock ECU; currently looking at the Chrysler NGC4 for that.
Don't stress specific units.
dubcrazy8392
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2025 10:57 pm
cars: -1981 6.0L LQ4 swapped C10 (aka lumpy)
-2000 silverado 2500 (daily work horse that does it with style)

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by dubcrazy8392 »

AngelMarc wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 8:31 am
dubcrazy8392 wrote: Thu May 28, 2026 2:25 am There isnt much custom coding that needs done to have speed density honestly. all of the logic behind a decent speed density system is in the P59 but the problem i seen how most apply it is more of a hack that sort of cripples the ECU more than it helps it. The guy who did boost OS was on the right path with making P59 more of a genuine SD system. if your running 12587603 OS i could probably give you a patch that would basically give you proper SD function out of the ECU. none of that hacky disable fault codes stuff and force it into limp mode. also you could patch table axis's that use grams per cylinder or whatever and make those axis's MAP instead. grams per cylinder is pretty pointless with SD since its more of an air flow calculation and with SD your using an air pressure calculation instead so it only seems fitting to fix the axis's.
I don't know when I'd actually make time to try it, but I'd like to try the available speed density patches. Finding out all I want to find out, sucks up a lot of time. There's a certain simplicity I'm aiming for, and if they don't meat it, I'm moving on.
Have you seen my scratch built 24x ECU code? There's not much I want to add to it. I want to port that to a sock ECU; currently looking at the Chrysler NGC4 for that.
one thing i was thinking about was adding 58x crank trigger support to the the P59 honestly. would be nice for he P59 to be plug and play friendly with a GEN4 LS engine. gets old having to swap cranks or the trigger wheels in a GEN4 LS to use my P59 ECU.
User avatar
AngelMarc
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by AngelMarc »

dubcrazy8392 wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 6:46 pm
AngelMarc wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 8:31 am
dubcrazy8392 wrote: Thu May 28, 2026 2:25 am
one thing i was thinking about was adding 58x crank trigger support to the the P59 honestly. would be nice for he P59 to be plug and play friendly with a GEN4 LS engine. gets old having to swap cranks or the trigger wheels in a GEN4 LS to use my P59 ECU.
Somewhere here is a post of a partial datasheet for the Delco CIC that shows how impractical that is. Just get/make a crank pulley mounted trigger wheel.
Don't stress specific units.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by antus »

yeah I think the crank trigger is in hardware, and cant be changed. you could consider making some kind of hardware solution that sits inline and converts one signal type to the other, that'd be the best bet.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Tre-Cool
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car
Location: Perth

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by Tre-Cool »

antus wrote: Sat May 30, 2026 2:02 am yeah I think the crank trigger is in hardware, and cant be changed. you could consider making some kind of hardware solution that sits inline and converts one signal type to the other, that'd be the best bet.
Thats what the lingenfelter unit does. takes the 58 & 4x sensors and feeds it to the stock P59.

first generation were shit as once they got hot you'd be driving along and all of sudden engine stops. Been there before. pour some water on it and car starts straight up.

They fixed it eventually with some new hardware.
User avatar
Phoenix
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:02 pm
cars: 1983 Chevy C10
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO
Location: Anna, TX

Re: peer review request (speed density P59)

Post by Phoenix »

dubcrazy8392 wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 6:46 pm one thing i was thinking about was adding 58x crank trigger support to the the P59 honestly. would be nice for he P59 to be plug and play friendly with a GEN4 LS engine. gets old having to swap cranks or the trigger wheels in a GEN4 LS to use my P59 ECU.
Sign me up for that!