I have a 1996 GM with a 4.3 L V6 engine, 4x4, manual trans and a 5 connector black box. I would like to do some minor tuning so I don't have to downshift when going up a hill at highway speed. I've tried reading the pcm using PCMHammer and logging it using PCMLogger but have not been successful.
I know from watching a number of YouTube videos and searching through a number of forums that the "no brainer" is to replace the pcm with a 411 pcm. I already have a black box pcm from a 2000 4x4 Jimmy with an auto trans with osid 16265175, so I would like to use what I have for now. I did find a 16265175.tun EfiLive file from a 2000 s-10 truck with a 4.3 L and manual trans. Unfortunately, 1. I don't any way to convert the tun file to a bin file and 2.The 16265175.bin file is not supported by Universal Patcher, so I can't use that osid.
I have researched the pin-outs for the 5 pin and 4 pin pcms and have found that by moving a few pins and adding a few wires on the connectors on the wiring harness I'm able to connect to the 4 connector pcm.
So I'm looking for any bin file for a 4.3 L V6 4X4 with manual trans that will work with Universal Patcher and can be loaded onto the 4 connector pcm.
Thanks in advance
Black Box Bin Needed
-
CDNL
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm
-
sparepartsblazer
- Posts: 89
- Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am
- Location: Missouri
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
See if this will work for you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
kur4o
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 am
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
CDNL, if you have a j2534 compatible tool,
I can send you some test program for reading the 96-97 blackbox.
I can send you some test program for reading the 96-97 blackbox.
-
CDNL
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
Hi Sparepartsblazer,
Thank you very much for the bin file!!!!!!
The bin file looks like it will definitely work for me. I plan to do a test write in the next few days to confirm that the file will upload to the pcm. And then plan on doing the pcm swap. The truck is my daily driver so I will have to find the right time to do the change.
Once again, thanks very much for sharing!!!
Thank you very much for the bin file!!!!!!
Once again, thanks very much for sharing!!!
-
CDNL
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
Hi kur4o,
Unfortunately, I do not have a j2534 tool. But I do appreciate the offer.
You should note, that my level of understanding regarding the realm of pcms is at the level of neanderthal when compared to antus, yourself, sparepartsblazer and others on this site. I have come to this conclusion from reading the many posts on the many subjects covered here.
I would very much appreciate it if you could educate me and give examples of a j2534 tool and its role in communicating with pcms. At the moment I understand it to be a smart connection between the pcm and the proprietary car manufacturer's software.
thanks again
Unfortunately, I do not have a j2534 tool. But I do appreciate the offer.
You should note, that my level of understanding regarding the realm of pcms is at the level of neanderthal when compared to antus, yourself, sparepartsblazer and others on this site. I have come to this conclusion from reading the many posts on the many subjects covered here.
I would very much appreciate it if you could educate me and give examples of a j2534 tool and its role in communicating with pcms. At the moment I understand it to be a smart connection between the pcm and the proprietary car manufacturer's software.
thanks again
-
sparepartsblazer
- Posts: 89
- Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am
- Location: Missouri
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
What tool are you using to read and write with PCM Hammer.CDNL wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2026 12:04 am Hi kur4o,
Unfortunately, I do not have a j2534 tool. But I do appreciate the offer.
You should note, that my level of understanding regarding the realm of pcms is at the level of neanderthal when compared to antus, yourself, sparepartsblazer and others on this site. I have come to this conclusion from reading the many posts on the many subjects covered here.
I would very much appreciate it if you could educate me and give examples of a j2534 tool and its role in communicating with pcms. At the moment I understand it to be a smart connection between the pcm and the proprietary car manufacturer's software.
thanks again
-
kur4o
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 am
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
96-97 blackbox have built in mode 35 support, and reading should be as easy as just requesting data with proper commands, similar to some newer bcms.
j2534 is a standard for communication, nothing special magic in it.
Most tool support it like MDI.
What kind of devices you have for communication. For reading we can test some scripts with simpler devices, like obdlink.
j2534 is a standard for communication, nothing special magic in it.
Most tool support it like MDI.
What kind of devices you have for communication. For reading we can test some scripts with simpler devices, like obdlink.
-
CDNL
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
I tried a test write of the 1999 GMC Sonoma 4.3 - 09365085 - 1GTDT19X4X8528585 bin with PCMHammer and it was successful. (Unfortunately. I did not save the results information.) I then did a write to pcm and got a message saying that I could not do a write and that I would have to do a full write (clone). I tried a full write and it failed. Now if try to read the pcm it asks me to supply the pcm osid.
I am using an Obslink sx cable and a bench harness.
I am using an Obslink sx cable and a bench harness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
Is this in car or on bench? If its in car, can you try on bench? Enter OSID means its failed to get the OSID back from the PCM, and it might be softbrick, or brick 
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
CDNL
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm
Re: Black Box Bin Needed
This is on the bench harness. I also tried uploading the original bin file that came with the pcm. I've attached the results and debug logs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.