VL Walkinshaw Build Electronic Issues

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
User avatar
Nzer
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
cars: VL Walkinshaw
Location: New Zealand

VL Walkinshaw Build Electronic Issues

Post by Nzer »

Hi all,
I’ve built a VL Walkinshaw. Factory Delco with the AMBX 6968 Memcal.
My issue is high idle.
When it’s cold will idle around 850-900rpm. Can hear the IAC bleeding air also. As it warms up the idle will rise to around 1400rpm. Then when it gets to what it feels in normal operating temp it will come back down to 850rpm.
It takes a long time for it to get to that point. And once it cools slightly the idle will rise back to 1400rpm
I’m running a large Race Radiator radiator and BF single fan with Davies Craig thermatic LED switch with the probe located at the bottom of the tank.
Also using a 82 degree thermostat. Coolant temp sensor is in it factory location.
Tested several times for vacuum leaks but haven’t found any.

Any suggestions?

How do I upload photos?
Last edited by Nzer on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by Gampy »

While in the "Post A Reply" editor (Not Quick Reply), look to the lower left,
Select: Upload Attachment
Select: Browse
. Browse to the Image file and select it.
Select: Open

Select: Add The File

When it's done uploading the file, place your cursor in the editor where you want the image, select "Place Inline".
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
User avatar
Nzer
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
cars: VL Walkinshaw
Location: New Zealand

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by Nzer »

The setup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Nzer
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
cars: VL Walkinshaw
Location: New Zealand

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by Nzer »

Cooling set up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Nzer
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
cars: VL Walkinshaw
Location: New Zealand

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by Nzer »

I’ve since changed the probe style to below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by Charlescrown »

Is it logging any codes?
User avatar
Nzer
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
cars: VL Walkinshaw
Location: New Zealand

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by Nzer »

Charlescrown wrote:Is it logging any codes?
Can I use a test light in the ALDL connector wire for the check engine light? I haven’t got the original check engine light in the dash cluster.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by Charlescrown »

You should be able to connect a test light to the brown/white wire (at least it's that colour on a VN) on the ALDL plug and earth then bridge the 2 terminals (I think from memory) on the right hand side on the plug (looking into it) turn the ignition on it should flash the codes. Code 12 system pass.
User avatar
Nzer
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
cars: VL Walkinshaw
Location: New Zealand

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by Nzer »

Can I post a video?

I don’t seem to be even getting Code 12 to start with?

I’m getting 4 even flashes on the test light then a pause then 4 more then again and again and so on.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue

Post by vlad01 »

Sounds like code 44, o2 sensor reading lean in closed loop.

Would have nothing to do with your high idle speed.