Hi all,
I’ve built a VL Walkinshaw. Factory Delco with the AMBX 6968 Memcal.
My issue is high idle.
When it’s cold will idle around 850-900rpm. Can hear the IAC bleeding air also. As it warms up the idle will rise to around 1400rpm. Then when it gets to what it feels in normal operating temp it will come back down to 850rpm.
It takes a long time for it to get to that point. And once it cools slightly the idle will rise back to 1400rpm
I’m running a large Race Radiator radiator and BF single fan with Davies Craig thermatic LED switch with the probe located at the bottom of the tank.
Also using a 82 degree thermostat. Coolant temp sensor is in it factory location.
Tested several times for vacuum leaks but haven’t found any.
Any suggestions?
How do I upload photos?
VL Walkinshaw Build Electronic Issues
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
VL Walkinshaw Build Electronic Issues
Last edited by Nzer on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
-
Gampy
- Posts: 2332
- Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
While in the "Post A Reply" editor (Not Quick Reply), look to the lower left,
Select: Upload Attachment
Select: Browse
. Browse to the Image file and select it.
Select: Open
Select: Add The File
When it's done uploading the file, place your cursor in the editor where you want the image, select "Place Inline".
Select: Upload Attachment
Select: Browse
. Browse to the Image file and select it.
Select: Open
Select: Add The File
When it's done uploading the file, place your cursor in the editor where you want the image, select "Place Inline".
Intelligence is in the details!
It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!
If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!
If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
The setup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Cooling set up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
I’ve since changed the probe style to below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Is it logging any codes?
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Can I use a test light in the ALDL connector wire for the check engine light? I haven’t got the original check engine light in the dash cluster.Charlescrown wrote:Is it logging any codes?
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
You should be able to connect a test light to the brown/white wire (at least it's that colour on a VN) on the ALDL plug and earth then bridge the 2 terminals (I think from memory) on the right hand side on the plug (looking into it) turn the ignition on it should flash the codes. Code 12 system pass.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Can I post a video?
I don’t seem to be even getting Code 12 to start with?
I’m getting 4 even flashes on the test light then a pause then 4 more then again and again and so on.
I don’t seem to be even getting Code 12 to start with?
I’m getting 4 even flashes on the test light then a pause then 4 more then again and again and so on.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Sounds like code 44, o2 sensor reading lean in closed loop.
Would have nothing to do with your high idle speed.
Would have nothing to do with your high idle speed.