I’m running a Delco 122808 with the VL Group A AMBX6968 memcal. The loom I am using is a VN V8 which I have had to modify to shorten wires and add new factory plugs.
Should I try another ECM?
The IAC valve will open at start up. Then slowly close to nothing. Then all of a sudden it gasp open as the car stalls.
Any ideas?
VL Walkinshaw Build Electronic Issues
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nzer on Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Sounds like the stall saver is kicking in from not enough base air flow from the throttle stop being too closed? The stall saver will raise the idle for a while before it decays back down.
Try adjusting the stop a couple of turns to open the throttle a bit more, that way if the IAC gets close to closing it won't stall, thus not triggering the stall saver routine.
Try adjusting the stop a couple of turns to open the throttle a bit more, that way if the IAC gets close to closing it won't stall, thus not triggering the stall saver routine.
-
kojab
- Posts: 445
- Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
- cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
- Location: Sydney
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Are you running a knock sensor on this engine? If not code 43 will be set and idle spark timing will be locked at 6 degs BTDC
Is the engine standard ? (no camshaft fitted and using stock injectors)
Would be very wise to fit the original Dash fault light so you can pickup logged fault codes using a simple paper clip in the VL test socket.
Is the engine standard ? (no camshaft fitted and using stock injectors)
Would be very wise to fit the original Dash fault light so you can pickup logged fault codes using a simple paper clip in the VL test socket.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Sweet. I’ll give this a try in the morning.vlad01 wrote:Sounds like the stall saver is kicking in from not enough base air flow from the throttle stop being too closed? The stall saver will raise the idle for a while before it decays back down.
Try adjusting the stop a couple of turns to open the throttle a bit more, that way if the IAC gets close to closing it won't stall, thus not triggering the stall saver routine.
I did measure the voltage at the TPS for closed throttle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Yes running a knock sensor. It’s brand new.kojab wrote:Are you running a knock sensor on this engine? If not code 43 will be set and idle spark timing will be locked at 6 degs BTDC
Is the engine standard ? (no camshaft fitted and using stock injectors)
Would be very wise to fit the original Dash fault light so you can pickup logged fault codes using a simple paper clip in the VL test socket.
Engine is standard. Only very slight change is I’m running a Crane Cam 276. They class it as their Group A replacement cam.
I don’t have the original top piece of the cluster. I have the V8 Calais Automatic one. I’m using a VN V8 loom also.
-
kojab
- Posts: 445
- Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 am
- cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla
- Location: Sydney
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
With a Crane Cam 276 and your standard standard memcal you will have to get a custom tune done at some stage. Currently it will be running rich down low and lean up top with standard fuel pressure.
Also with the 276 Crane Cam the engine will require more air than standard at idle and the vacuum will drop causing it to run richer with the standard memcal.
TPS voltage of 1.03 V is high. I try to aim for 0.7V approx. To get the TPS voltage lower you can always open up the rear throttle body to bleed in much wanted air for idle.
With regards your new knock sensor. Orig knock sensors were black and measured approx 3K to 4K ohms.
Make sure your new knock sensor is not 100K ohms and white in colour this will give you a code 43 with 6 degs of timing advance.
There are some white knock sensors around which are also approx 3K to 4K ohms and are fine with the early Delco ECM.
There are some Black knock sensors around which are 100K ohms also which you don't want to use.
Also with the 276 Crane Cam the engine will require more air than standard at idle and the vacuum will drop causing it to run richer with the standard memcal.
TPS voltage of 1.03 V is high. I try to aim for 0.7V approx. To get the TPS voltage lower you can always open up the rear throttle body to bleed in much wanted air for idle.
With regards your new knock sensor. Orig knock sensors were black and measured approx 3K to 4K ohms.
Make sure your new knock sensor is not 100K ohms and white in colour this will give you a code 43 with 6 degs of timing advance.
There are some white knock sensors around which are also approx 3K to 4K ohms and are fine with the early Delco ECM.
There are some Black knock sensors around which are 100K ohms also which you don't want to use.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Tps is far too high 0.5is nearing the limit before it won't reset tps to 0 and enter idle mode.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Hi Nzer,
I would try something a little simpler.
Have a look at where your TPS screws into the T/body.
Remove the screws and look if there are elongations in the switch to adjust for a lower volts output.
If not, file the plastic on the TPS adjacent to the screw holes to give some 'adjustment' for the range lower than 1 v.
Also, how 'closed' is the primary T/B, and is the 2ndry 'fully' closed.
I would try something a little simpler.
Have a look at where your TPS screws into the T/body.
Remove the screws and look if there are elongations in the switch to adjust for a lower volts output.
If not, file the plastic on the TPS adjacent to the screw holes to give some 'adjustment' for the range lower than 1 v.
Also, how 'closed' is the primary T/B, and is the 2ndry 'fully' closed.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Thanks all for replying.
I bought the cam as it is as close as possible to the factory Group A cam and believe it would suit best with the AMBX memcal.
I will be checking the knock sensor out. When I purchased it I did ask for it to suit the VL Walkinshaw.
I’d have to file the mounting points on the TPS to make it adjustable. Do you advise I do this? I’ll do what ever to get this thing to idle well.
The primary TB is closed. The secondary is just cracked open. This is currently due to the IAC closing.
Also when the ALDL diagnostic terminal is bridged, the car will idle steady with the A/C and radiator both functioning. It will hunt for a little bit and will settle back down. As soon as the wire isn’t bridged it will go back to bad idle.
Below is a page from the service manual.
I bought the cam as it is as close as possible to the factory Group A cam and believe it would suit best with the AMBX memcal.
I will be checking the knock sensor out. When I purchased it I did ask for it to suit the VL Walkinshaw.
In regards to the TPS, I have followed instructions as per the service manual. The manual states 1v.delcowizzid wrote:Tps is far too high 0.5is nearing the limit before it won't reset tps to 0 and enter idle mode.
I’d have to file the mounting points on the TPS to make it adjustable. Do you advise I do this? I’ll do what ever to get this thing to idle well.
Hi quipt4it. You are correct The TPS is not adjustable (it’s the factory Ford XF Falcon style) but I can file the mounting holes out as it is plastic.'quipt4it wrote:Hi Nzer,
I would try something a little simpler.
Have a look at where your TPS screws into the T/body.
Remove the screws and look if there are elongations in the switch to adjust for a lower volts output.
If not, file the plastic on the TPS adjacent to the screw holes to give some 'adjustment' for the range lower than 1 v.
Also, how 'closed' is the primary T/B, and is the 2ndry 'fully' closed.
The primary TB is closed. The secondary is just cracked open. This is currently due to the IAC closing.
Also when the ALDL diagnostic terminal is bridged, the car will idle steady with the A/C and radiator both functioning. It will hunt for a little bit and will settle back down. As soon as the wire isn’t bridged it will go back to bad idle.
Below is a page from the service manual.
Last edited by Nzer on Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
The fault code I’m getting
https://vimeo.com/490337126
TPS reading from Closed to WOT.
https://vimeo.com/490343320
https://vimeo.com/490337126
TPS reading from Closed to WOT.
https://vimeo.com/490343320
Last edited by Nzer on Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.