Idle after IAC reset. Will hunt after being rev’d.
Will check earths tonight.
https://vimeo.com/490964709
VL Walkinshaw Build Electronic Issues
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
At last, a 'little' win.
I would check those RPM's against a real tacho
Doesn't look like 1350 ish.
If it is, the previously mentioned method of restricting the bypass orifice will work to lower this.
Also recheck for vac leaks, hard, split hoses to FPR, MAP sensor etc.
Did you clear codes. Also, tweaking the TPS may help with hunting.
I would check those RPM's against a real tacho
If it is, the previously mentioned method of restricting the bypass orifice will work to lower this.
Also recheck for vac leaks, hard, split hoses to FPR, MAP sensor etc.
Did you clear codes. Also, tweaking the TPS may help with hunting.
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
I just noticed the drive video. Tach showing 1500 RPM and road speed 40kmh. Was that top gear? One of the gauges looks wrong.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
I think your restriction idea is sounding better by the minute.'quipt4it wrote:At last, a 'little' win.
I would check those RPM's against a real tachoDoesn't look like 1350 ish.
If it is, the previously mentioned method of restricting the bypass orifice will work to lower this.
Also recheck for vac leaks, hard, split hoses to FPR, MAP sensor etc.
Did you clear codes. Also, tweaking the TPS may help with hunting.
Will re-check all hoses and possible leak areas again.
I didn’t clear any codes before resetting the IAC. I can do this.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
That was me coasting with my foot on the clutch showing the rpm sitting at 1500ish. Watch my foot it’s pushing the clutch done.'quipt4it wrote:I just noticed the drive video. Tach showing 1500 RPM and road speed 40kmh. Was that top gear? One of the gauges looks wrong.
It’s not safe to drive with the idle that high as the car wouldn’t decelerate well. This is why I’ve had to connect with you to see how I can resolve it.
Slowly but surely it feels like we are making progress. Thank you.
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Post a snap of the IAC block so we can see the best way to tackle it. I've done several V6 T-Bs to reduce the air bypassing the throttle.
Show the detail on your set-up.
Also, when you clear codes, reset the IAC again.
I still have a sneaking suspicion you're getting extra 'outside' air from elsewhere.
Show the detail on your set-up.
Also, when you clear codes, reset the IAC again.
I still have a sneaking suspicion you're getting extra 'outside' air from elsewhere.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Yep I have some photos of it. I bought it NOS but I couldn’t tell you if it was factory internal dimensions. For all I know it could have been bored for a racecar. To allow for a high idle. My manifold is off a ex-race car so I’ve been told. A couple of the sensor locations are different for factory.'quipt4it wrote:Post a snap of the IAC block so we can see the best way to tackle it. I've done several V6 T-Bs to reduce the air bypassing the throttle.
Show the detail on your set-up.
Also, when you clear codes, reset the IAC again.
I still have a sneaking suspicion you're getting extra 'outside' air from elsewhere.
I’m thinking a aluminium sleeve up the inside of the inlet pipe.
I’ll definitely check over for air leaks.
-
Nzer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:20 pm
- cars: VL Walkinshaw
- Location: New Zealand
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Measurements. I haven’t got a I.D measurement for the inlet pipe I just realised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
It looks like you can either block the air going in, or the air exiting the block. Maybe work on the exit. 10mm looks ideal. Get a piece of al. round stock, cut it short enough so it doesn't foul the end of the pintle and so it just tucks inside the mounting face to the manifold. Then just dial in with a drill bit how much air you need to bleed in. Actually, the shorter the better, less drilling lol. Plus you want to loctite and stake it in. Plus for added insurance, make the gasket diameter smaller than 10mm.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VL Walkinshaw High Idle Issue
Hunting is almost always caused by a lean or rich spot in the VE table around where it idles causing a feedback loop.
Rather than stuffing around trying to band aid the issue, get a wideband sensor, NVRAM and comms and load up 12P and make a proper tune to suit.
Rather than stuffing around trying to band aid the issue, get a wideband sensor, NVRAM and comms and load up 12P and make a proper tune to suit.