253 V8 carby selection

For non EFI mechanical discussion
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by VK_3800 »

You can't really go overboard provided you don't end up over-filling the engine, usually the 500mL syringe-style pump is more than ample if its all going in. Priming the engine galleries does exactly that and the head pushes back into the pump so two birds one stone.
User avatar
Madmatt2006
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT
Location: Katandra West

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by Madmatt2006 »

That sound like a good way of doing it :thumbup:
User avatar
Madmatt2006
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT
Location: Katandra West

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Is there a proper tool/pump for doing this? :think: I like the way it pumps the oil all around the engine and up to the tappets.

I guess you could make one out of an old pump up weed sprayer :lol:
User avatar
Madmatt2006
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT
Location: Katandra West

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by Madmatt2006 »

'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by 'quipt4it »

.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Madmatt2006
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT
Location: Katandra West

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Mate :D

From all your posts and help and obvious knowledge about this I am going to do it the way you suggested :thumbup:

But I was pondering that pumping it in a sealed hose would give some oil pressure and push oil around the engine :think: I liked the idea of pumping the oil into the pump via the hole that the oil filter screws onto instead of pulling the oil pump do you think that would work?

Then fill the oil filter...

getting so close to starting this engine :thumbup: Saturday/Sunday will post a video :D Crackle, pop, Boom rod through shed roof :lol:
Last edited by Madmatt2006 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by 'quipt4it »

.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Madmatt2006
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT
Location: Katandra West

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Thanks heaps :thumbup:
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by vlad01 »

I always coat my oil pumps in petroleum jelly, that way they will always prime, even years before they get started as I did with mine.

I had my engine ready 3 years before I finished the car. If I had used oil it would of drained out dry and failed to prime, had that happen before. I think for your time frame oil should be ok though.

I would suggest plugs out and no fuel, crank until there is oil pressure, give it a rest and crank for another 30 sec or so to make sure oil is well and truly run through the system. Having the plugs out makes it much easier on the starter motor and faster to crank and obviously prevent it stating before there is pressure.

Oh, make sure there is no oil in the filter as that can make it hard for the air the oil pump is initially pumping to drive out all the oil in the filter. Let the oil pump fill the system from top to bottom, pushing out the air naturally, you run the risk of having an airlock with a full filter. Made that mistake before too.
User avatar
Madmatt2006
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT
Location: Katandra West

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by Madmatt2006 »

I've heard of the petroleum jelly before, seems to be a lot of ways to prime the oil system! "make sure there is no oil in the filter" that scares the hell out of me :lol: it takes 10 minutes to fill one on the bench properly it has to soak in?.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxcnVULGm2A[/youtube]

I do like the pump in method 8-)