253 V8 carby selection
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
You can't really go overboard provided you don't end up over-filling the engine, usually the 500mL syringe-style pump is more than ample if its all going in. Priming the engine galleries does exactly that and the head pushes back into the pump so two birds one stone.
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
That sound like a good way of doing it 
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
Is there a proper tool/pump for doing this?
I like the way it pumps the oil all around the engine and up to the tappets.
I guess you could make one out of an old pump up weed sprayer
I guess you could make one out of an old pump up weed sprayer
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
stick one end in oil can jam other end in pump
3 bar 43 psi
https://www.bunnings.com.au/josco-drill ... p_p0117229
https://www.totaltools.com.au/durum-6mm ... -oil-db925
https://www.bunnings.com.au/josco-drill ... p_p0117229
https://www.totaltools.com.au/durum-6mm ... -oil-db925
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
Hi Mate
From all your posts and help and obvious knowledge about this I am going to do it the way you suggested
But I was pondering that pumping it in a sealed hose would give some oil pressure and push oil around the engine
I liked the idea of pumping the oil into the pump via the hole that the oil filter screws onto instead of pulling the oil pump do you think that would work?
Then fill the oil filter...
getting so close to starting this engine
Saturday/Sunday will post a video
Crackle, pop, Boom rod through shed roof 
From all your posts and help and obvious knowledge about this I am going to do it the way you suggested
But I was pondering that pumping it in a sealed hose would give some oil pressure and push oil around the engine
Then fill the oil filter...
getting so close to starting this engine
Last edited by Madmatt2006 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
Thanks heaps 
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
I always coat my oil pumps in petroleum jelly, that way they will always prime, even years before they get started as I did with mine.
I had my engine ready 3 years before I finished the car. If I had used oil it would of drained out dry and failed to prime, had that happen before. I think for your time frame oil should be ok though.
I would suggest plugs out and no fuel, crank until there is oil pressure, give it a rest and crank for another 30 sec or so to make sure oil is well and truly run through the system. Having the plugs out makes it much easier on the starter motor and faster to crank and obviously prevent it stating before there is pressure.
Oh, make sure there is no oil in the filter as that can make it hard for the air the oil pump is initially pumping to drive out all the oil in the filter. Let the oil pump fill the system from top to bottom, pushing out the air naturally, you run the risk of having an airlock with a full filter. Made that mistake before too.
I had my engine ready 3 years before I finished the car. If I had used oil it would of drained out dry and failed to prime, had that happen before. I think for your time frame oil should be ok though.
I would suggest plugs out and no fuel, crank until there is oil pressure, give it a rest and crank for another 30 sec or so to make sure oil is well and truly run through the system. Having the plugs out makes it much easier on the starter motor and faster to crank and obviously prevent it stating before there is pressure.
Oh, make sure there is no oil in the filter as that can make it hard for the air the oil pump is initially pumping to drive out all the oil in the filter. Let the oil pump fill the system from top to bottom, pushing out the air naturally, you run the risk of having an airlock with a full filter. Made that mistake before too.
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
I've heard of the petroleum jelly before, seems to be a lot of ways to prime the oil system! "make sure there is no oil in the filter" that scares the hell out of me
it takes 10 minutes to fill one on the bench properly it has to soak in?.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxcnVULGm2A[/youtube]
I do like the pump in method
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxcnVULGm2A[/youtube]
I do like the pump in method