Quiet Popping noise at air box

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
vs ss
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1
Location: perth wa

Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box

Post by vs ss »

I’ve heard it before. I’m pretty sure it’s the purge solenoid on the throttle body making the sound travel into the intake pipe.
It might not be the same noise, but I know the solenoid makes a soft popping noise in the air intake.
Pete30nz
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 am
cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box

Post by Pete30nz »

immortality wrote:Put a vacuum gauge on it. If it's a bad/broken valve spring, burnt valve or damaged seat etc it will show up.
I have a hand pumped vacumm bleeder with a gauge, could I use this?
If so where do I hook it up to?
Edit: I think just the fuel reg vac hose?
Last edited by Pete30nz on Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete30nz
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 am
cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box

Post by Pete30nz »

vs ss wrote:I’ve heard it before. I’m pretty sure it’s the purge solenoid on the throttle body making the sound travel into the intake pipe.
It might not be the same noise, but I know the solenoid makes a soft popping noise in the air intake.
I guess it could be, but I don't know why.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box

Post by immortality »

Pete30nz wrote:
immortality wrote:Put a vacuum gauge on it. If it's a bad/broken valve spring, burnt valve or damaged seat etc it will show up.
I have a hand pumped vacumm bleeder with a gauge, could I use this?
If so where do I hook it up to?
Edit: I think just the fuel reg vac hose?
On any manifold vacuum source.
Pete30nz
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 am
cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box

Post by Pete30nz »

Ok and what do I look for? For it to drop in pressure.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box

Post by immortality »