I’ve heard it before. I’m pretty sure it’s the purge solenoid on the throttle body making the sound travel into the intake pipe.
It might not be the same noise, but I know the solenoid makes a soft popping noise in the air intake.
Quiet Popping noise at air box
-
vs ss
- Posts: 590
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am
- cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1 - Location: perth wa
-
Pete30nz
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 am
- cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive - Location: Christchurch, NZ
Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box
I have a hand pumped vacumm bleeder with a gauge, could I use this?immortality wrote:Put a vacuum gauge on it. If it's a bad/broken valve spring, burnt valve or damaged seat etc it will show up.
If so where do I hook it up to?
Edit: I think just the fuel reg vac hose?
Last edited by Pete30nz on Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Pete30nz
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 am
- cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive - Location: Christchurch, NZ
Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box
I guess it could be, but I don't know why.vs ss wrote:I’ve heard it before. I’m pretty sure it’s the purge solenoid on the throttle body making the sound travel into the intake pipe.
It might not be the same noise, but I know the solenoid makes a soft popping noise in the air intake.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box
On any manifold vacuum source.Pete30nz wrote:I have a hand pumped vacumm bleeder with a gauge, could I use this?immortality wrote:Put a vacuum gauge on it. If it's a bad/broken valve spring, burnt valve or damaged seat etc it will show up.
If so where do I hook it up to?
Edit: I think just the fuel reg vac hose?
-
Pete30nz
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 am
- cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive - Location: Christchurch, NZ
Re: Quiet Popping noise at air box
Ok and what do I look for? For it to drop in pressure.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE