VS Caprice V8 get odometre reading

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

VS Caprice V8 get odometre reading

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get odo reading off a 1995 VS Caprice, I'm doing a RWC on it & LCD isn't showing anything & scan tools dont seem to have instrument cluster as an option.

I know obviously I could pull the cluster out & read the odo off the chip but too much work.
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: VS Caprice V8 get odometre reading

Post by Tazzi »

I didn't even know they had a communication line to them to the diagnostic port?

Wasn't it one of the threads many many years ago from.. ahh.. fiesta or someone along those lines which said a custom tool needed to be attached to the clusters programming port?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VS Caprice V8 get odometre reading

Post by Gareth »

The cluster certainly isn't on the diag network in a VR VS, chip read is the only way.

Sadly a faulty oddometer in victoria is a RWC fail :thumbdown:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VX L67 Getrag
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria

Re: VS Caprice V8 get odometre reading

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah I was pretty sure, but thought I'd put it out to the masterminds!

THANK YOU GUYS!