VN Tunerpro Help
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Yeah if its a new PC, then yeah likely what Vlad said about problems with GQ4 or 4x4 (or older willems) and the latest windows versions. If that is the case, make sure you are using the win10 driver on the mcumall site for it. If that isnt enough run as admin. If that isnt enough, then you might need an older computer for the burner, or a newer programmer.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
seabreeze
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am
- cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Hi all. Thought i should update the weeks efforts. I've been hesitant to write this as it mostly negative.
Start with the wins. NVRAM is burning all good. I was putting it upside down in the gq4x4... For a laugh i tried the crane 288 solid bin from here. Just changed injector value back to stock. Car started with no throttle first kick. Needs a pinky on the throttle to idle. I will up the idle from 900 to 950 and remove a couple degrees of timing everywhere and try that. I know i'm flying blind, but a steady idle is a positive.
Now for the losses. Still can't get any comms with Tunerpro. Two laptops have been tried. If i wiggle the NVRAM just so, i can make the iac constantly move and the efi relay click. With the nvram removed and factory memcal in place i can wiggle and it's all normal. Also sometimes the nvram led is lit constantly, sometimes it stays lit for a few seconds after switching off ignition, and sometimes it goes straight off. Also cannot get diagnostic mode working with nvram installed. Factory memcal installed and diagnostic mode works fine. I also unsoldered the usb comms and put ecm back to full factory spec, and it is all good. Diagnostic mode works, engine cranks and fires. Works and behaves like a normal factory ecm. All the nvram faults seem random and hard to replicate. I'm doing something wrong, or something is broken. I haven't the will to keep troubleshooting.
All in all this thing is kicking my arse. What i thought would be fun has turned into anything but. If i can get it idling with the above mentioned bin changes, it's coming off the stands and i'm going for a drive. I'll get a standalone afr guage, hook my wideband to it, and tune best i can. I've spent more time in the passenger seat staring at the laptop and blinking leds in the footwell, than i ever have driving this car!
Thanks again everyone.
Start with the wins. NVRAM is burning all good. I was putting it upside down in the gq4x4... For a laugh i tried the crane 288 solid bin from here. Just changed injector value back to stock. Car started with no throttle first kick. Needs a pinky on the throttle to idle. I will up the idle from 900 to 950 and remove a couple degrees of timing everywhere and try that. I know i'm flying blind, but a steady idle is a positive.
Now for the losses. Still can't get any comms with Tunerpro. Two laptops have been tried. If i wiggle the NVRAM just so, i can make the iac constantly move and the efi relay click. With the nvram removed and factory memcal in place i can wiggle and it's all normal. Also sometimes the nvram led is lit constantly, sometimes it stays lit for a few seconds after switching off ignition, and sometimes it goes straight off. Also cannot get diagnostic mode working with nvram installed. Factory memcal installed and diagnostic mode works fine. I also unsoldered the usb comms and put ecm back to full factory spec, and it is all good. Diagnostic mode works, engine cranks and fires. Works and behaves like a normal factory ecm. All the nvram faults seem random and hard to replicate. I'm doing something wrong, or something is broken. I haven't the will to keep troubleshooting.
All in all this thing is kicking my arse. What i thought would be fun has turned into anything but. If i can get it idling with the above mentioned bin changes, it's coming off the stands and i'm going for a drive. I'll get a standalone afr guage, hook my wideband to it, and tune best i can. I've spent more time in the passenger seat staring at the laptop and blinking leds in the footwell, than i ever have driving this car!
Thanks again everyone.
-
seabreeze
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am
- cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
SUCCESS!!!
Thanks to antus and his after hours/weekend support, this has been resolved.
Crappy soldering and wrong settings by myself, coupled with a possible flaky ecm were the culprits.
Fresh solder on a new ecm, tech support from antus and we are good to go.
NVRAM and USB Comms are all good. Tunerpro all good.
I was genuinely ready to give up. Now am excited to keep pushing forward with tuning. Thanks to all that posted with help and encouragement. I'd not have made it on my own.
Thanks again everyone, and big thanks again antus.
Thanks to antus and his after hours/weekend support, this has been resolved.
Crappy soldering and wrong settings by myself, coupled with a possible flaky ecm were the culprits.
Fresh solder on a new ecm, tech support from antus and we are good to go.
NVRAM and USB Comms are all good. Tunerpro all good.
I was genuinely ready to give up. Now am excited to keep pushing forward with tuning. Thanks to all that posted with help and encouragement. I'd not have made it on my own.
Thanks again everyone, and big thanks again antus.
-
seabreeze
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am
- cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Thought i'd post an update and a log.
Car runs great. Starts hot or cold and idles nicely. Pulls hard past 60km/h and beyond. Not much down low, but that could be the cam plus my tune. Cruises effortlessly on the freeway and eats up the miles. Still on stock 3.08 diff gearing, so that could explain both to some degree.
High IATs/charge temp are a concern. I think she heatsoaks? 4000RPM+ high load on a hot day was getting some detonation too. Dropped some timing up there and it seems better now.
Spark see-saw pattern on decel also. DFCO? Very annoying especially a low speeds. Feels like the engine will shake off its mounts!
I've played with a lot of parameters and tables, so any help to get this thing close to perfect is much appreciated!
Car runs great. Starts hot or cold and idles nicely. Pulls hard past 60km/h and beyond. Not much down low, but that could be the cam plus my tune. Cruises effortlessly on the freeway and eats up the miles. Still on stock 3.08 diff gearing, so that could explain both to some degree.
High IATs/charge temp are a concern. I think she heatsoaks? 4000RPM+ high load on a hot day was getting some detonation too. Dropped some timing up there and it seems better now.
Spark see-saw pattern on decel also. DFCO? Very annoying especially a low speeds. Feels like the engine will shake off its mounts!
I've played with a lot of parameters and tables, so any help to get this thing close to perfect is much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Good to hear you are having success. I took a quick look. I charted spark and ve, against throttle, rpm, map in monitors, looked at spark and ve tables with bubble tracing and had a look where the spark goes a bit crazy after a decel. The spark values delivered are not what I'd expect from what is in the spark table.
I can see from the DE that the DE has ended when its in this state, so its not your DFCO.
I checked DTCs, no red flags there, and did a compare of changed items from your bin to the BLCD V8 bin in the original 12P zip, nothing stood out there.
Except it shows changes in the region 1F50 -> 1FD2. I put them side to side in a hex editor and I can see the changes confirming TPs view of the world. Do you know what this is? It doesn't look like corruption, it looks like some kind of table from the shape that is not defined in the stock XDF and is all 00 in the stock BLCF 12P bin.
I can see from the DE that the DE has ended when its in this state, so its not your DFCO.
I checked DTCs, no red flags there, and did a compare of changed items from your bin to the BLCD V8 bin in the original 12P zip, nothing stood out there.
Except it shows changes in the region 1F50 -> 1FD2. I put them side to side in a hex editor and I can see the changes confirming TPs view of the world. Do you know what this is? It doesn't look like corruption, it looks like some kind of table from the shape that is not defined in the stock XDF and is all 00 in the stock BLCF 12P bin.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Looking a bit more, the only odd thing I see is that the dash view has a different value to the monitor view. Can you feel the car vibrating with this spark change? If you cant I am inclined to think its a bug in tunerpro's monitor view, and the ecu is doing the right thing..... If it does feel rough, then not sure. Both screen shots are 2 views of the exact same data frame. But as I posted this I noticed o2 millivolts and battery volts as 0 in the dash view which can't be right. And so I've added battery voltage to a monitor, and that does have correct data. So from my experience with tunerpro, and knowing the XDF and ADX formats say "dont edit this by hand, trust me" internally, and after editing it by hand myself in the past and knowing that it can lead to memory corruption which ends up looking like this, I wonder, that extra data that got in the bin, did you edit the xdf or adx by hand to add some more tables with information from somewhere else? That could cause this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
seabreeze
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am
- cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Tuning this thing has been more fun than building it. I've only gone backwards once, and that's when i manually smoothed out the peaks and troughs in the VE table. Car hated it! Went back to the less smooth looking table and all good. It likes what it likes i guess.
Come to think of it, the see-saw spark advance was much worse with the smoothed out VE table. Took longer to settle down. So that makes me think that's the major culprit?
Also sometimes after making changes, mostly VE, Tunerpro says something akin to: "adx modified do you wish to save". Sometimes logs don't like the stock adx too and i get some parameters not displaying properly. Maybe this is related to the differences you are seeing antus? I'm not hex literate, so might be way off.
The log i posted worked fine with the stock ose12p adx.
I feel like i'm 95% happy with the current tune. If i can lessen the see-saw spark advance i would be close to done. It is enjoyable having the car feel and drive better from the changes i make though. Very satisfying.
Come to think of it, the see-saw spark advance was much worse with the smoothed out VE table. Took longer to settle down. So that makes me think that's the major culprit?
Also sometimes after making changes, mostly VE, Tunerpro says something akin to: "adx modified do you wish to save". Sometimes logs don't like the stock adx too and i get some parameters not displaying properly. Maybe this is related to the differences you are seeing antus? I'm not hex literate, so might be way off.
The log i posted worked fine with the stock ose12p adx.
I feel like i'm 95% happy with the current tune. If i can lessen the see-saw spark advance i would be close to done. It is enjoyable having the car feel and drive better from the changes i make though. Very satisfying.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10014
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Im not sure the see-saw spark is real. I think it might be a problem in tunerpro. The spark doesnt match between monitors and dash, nor does battery voltage or o2 voltage. That usually means there is memory corruption happening inside tunerpro, which should not happen. And if the log isnt playing - its freeze frame, then you should see the same numbers in the different views. So the question is - do you feel the spark juddering when your driving it? It sounds like you do. Asking to save adx just means you changed something - like what you are viewing on the monitor view. Then it will save that so the view has the same fields next time you open that adx.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
seabreeze
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am
- cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
Definitely feel the spark see-sawing. Mostly on low speed decel: carparks, servo etc. Normal cruising and freeway is great, no juddering.
I have never knowingly modified the adx! I log with my laptop, then playback logs and tune on my pc, then copy back to the laptop. Maybe something is happening in the transfer of files? Two different Tunerpros may not play nice.
I'm wondering if a fresh install of Tunerpro, and a fresh tune with all my changes copied over might be the go?
I have never knowingly modified the adx! I log with my laptop, then playback logs and tune on my pc, then copy back to the laptop. Maybe something is happening in the transfer of files? Two different Tunerpros may not play nice.
I'm wondering if a fresh install of Tunerpro, and a fresh tune with all my changes copied over might be the go?
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: VN Tunerpro Help
When you play a log and add something eg injector duration you have modified the ADX and it's simply asking if you want to save it with the change. I always say no but it really dosn't make any difference to TunerPro.