antus wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2024 8:23 am
Can you see RPM in tuner pro? If so, its unlikely your ref signal. If you can see rpm and get it to idle spraying in fuel manually its likely timing and ignition is ok. Check you have B+ at one of the injector pins with ignition on, ecm switches the ground side connection. Check and chase any lack of b+.
Per the engine management guide under chart B-3.2
With all injectors disconnected test light across terminals no light at all during cranking
With ignition on and test light to ground - light on, on one terminal.
Injectors reconnected, ignition on test light, lights on on D15 and D16 ECM
This is where I am up to, testing B5 for at least 0.7 volts AC while cranking.
antus wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2024 9:29 am
Can you log the computer and see if its getting rpm? If its not, it'll be doing nothing and the module will be generating 10 degrees cranking spark.
Going off this pic the 2 wires coming from the distributor pickup coil should go to the module what looks like P & N terminals. The polarity is important. From memory (fading fast) a Valiant should have around 300 ohms (don't quote me. As long as it has a resistance value thats not in mega ohms) and should put out a low AC voltage (millivolts) pulse when cranking. They are quiet reliable but worth a check. Don't start playing parts darts yet.
Ignor the 1 volt I don't think it would be anywhere that when cranking. Just millivolts is enough to trigger the module.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks Charles, I have not changed any wiring so the polarity should be ok, the engine idles quite nicely on aerostart so I assume the module is turning on. I need to recheck the pulsing voltage output using AC but it won’t be until the weekend.
Thinking about it why are you working on the ignition if it ran on aerostart? I'd first check fuel pressure (should be around 300kPa) and injector pulse (a simple test light will do). Sorry if I'm going over past tests but the car was running before and the Delco is pretty basic. As Antus said post a log even if it's only a cranking one for about 30 seconds should be sufficuent to see anything outstanding.
Just saw your last post. Get a log done.
You have missed an update Charles. I have sorted out the ignition issues, it was the CDI which I replaced with the stock Camira coil and now it runs if I feed fuel down the throttle body. I don’t have any pulse at the injectors but have power at one injector terminal with ignition on. As Antus advised the ECM switches the ground side connection so chasing this which I believe is input via B5 from the ignition module. Cheers
Also don't forget the D16 and D15 is where the injectors are grounded out in the ECU. I think that circuit inside the ECU is quite robust. If you have the ignition input signal maybe check continuity on that side of the injectors. Other than that it may be an earth issue.