E67 Questions

E38 E92 and many others. Approximately 2007 and newer
Camino_77
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
cars: 78 El Camino
56 Belair 4Dr
14 Dodge Journey
12 Suburban

Re: E67 Questions

Post by Camino_77 »

Cincinnatus

Mike Noonan over at EFI Connection has developed components specifically to run the Gen I SBC with the newer PCM’s/ECM’s. I also have most of the components to rebuild my 350 including a Serpentine Drive. However, as you and others have pointed out, using a P01 or P59 would be cheaper to use as the tuning software is free. Plus, I’d only be running a PCM instead of an ECM/TCM combo. And I would still be able to use the TPI which I Love it’s Looks. I was also planning on running a COP Ignition System.

Concerning the LS Engine Platform, I have a 56 Chevy 4-Dr Bel Air project that I’m wanting to drop one into.

My main concern with my current project is incorporating the CANBus System. There are features I like that will require the use of a CANBus. This has been my main hangup. Does the BCM need to be connected to the ECM/PCM? If so, will the P01/P59 talk to the BCM or will I require something more modern like the E38 or E67? Can I run a Stand Alone ECM/PCM along with a Stand Alone CANBus System and still implement the features that I like/want? And then HOW to go about doing it. After all of the reading I've done, I do have some possible ideas, maybe. But I'm still somewhat in the dark. Part of it has to do with the way my brain is wired.

I do relize that not all ECM's, PCM's, and BCM's use the same protocol to talk to each other. That was one reason for getting everything out of one vehicle. The other idea is to create a spreadsheet listing all of the ECM's, PCM's, and BCM's with the year breaks along with the protocols used so I can piece a system together.

Bill
Cincinnatus
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 am
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Re: E67 Questions

Post by Cincinnatus »

CAN started with e38/e67. If you need CAN, you are on the right path with the e67. I know about efi connection, I'm just too frugal to spend for aftermarket when I can make stock work for cheap. Share your CAN project as I'm curious about what you're trying to accomplish. Good luck and I have no experience with CAN swaps, just the old serial data pcms like p01/p04.
Camino_77
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
cars: 78 El Camino
56 Belair 4Dr
14 Dodge Journey
12 Suburban

Re: E67 Questions

Post by Camino_77 »

Cincinnatus wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2024 2:46 am CAN started with e38/e67. If you need CAN, you are on the right path with the e67. I know about efi connection, I'm just too frugal to spend for aftermarket when I can make stock work for cheap. Share your CAN project as I'm curious about what you're trying to accomplish. Good luck and I have no experience with CAN swaps, just the old serial data pcms like p01/p04.
Thanks!!!

Will Do!!!
Camino_77
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
cars: 78 El Camino
56 Belair 4Dr
14 Dodge Journey
12 Suburban

Re: E67 Questions

Post by Camino_77 »

Evening,

Well, I'm being told that the damage done to my right eye by the VA is pretty well permanent. What ever sight I get back will be distorted, I'll just have to get use to it. I ended up taking the Second early retirement offered to the federal employees. So now I've got plenty of time to do things for my Church as well as my Home Projects. That being said:

I went onto ebay and got some control modules out of the same 2012 CTS-V with a 6.2. I've also ordered new connectors for the BCM along with the pins. I want to run these all together on a bench to learn how they work and to see how I can make mods to the programing. I'm still planning to get the whole dash out of one donor car, but until then this is a good starting point imho.

I have a couple of questions concerning this.

1. Can I use say Cat5e wire to keep it simple for now or do I need to use reg Car Wiring?

2. How can I find the locations of the data within the different components after I pull the data from each of the control modules? ie, like the VIN, millage, and all of the other stuff. Will I find this information in the GMW's or else where? I do have a hand full on these.

I've been watching a video Garage Tinkering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoTxVML6y8 learning how to read hexadecimal. He uses a program from https://www.savvycan.com He also has several other vids on the CANBus. I know that Dr. Shock as well as Andromeda Research have info out there on how to pull the data from the chip and run it in a viewer to make adjustments/mods. That is my plan at this time. Andromeda Research sells a couple of kits with their own software included along with some templates as to were certain values are located. But it is somewhat expensive. As far as software and hardware, do any on Y'all have any sugestions as I move forward?

Bill
Camino_77
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
cars: 78 El Camino
56 Belair 4Dr
14 Dodge Journey
12 Suburban

Re: E67 Questions

Post by Camino_77 »

Good Evening, I’been looking for a DBC for the 2012 CTS-V, but have only found one for the 2014 CTS. I’m going to try and use this with the possibility of mods.

I’ve actually been learning a lot but at the same time there’s a lot to learn.

Billy