Ford ECM/PCM types

Ford information and tools can be found here
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by In-Tech »

I want to start this thread hoping to build a bit of a knowledge base here. I don't know crapola about Ford stuff. With a J3 adapter I have done a small amount of EEC4 and EEC5 stuff using various things. Also did a 2011 police interceptor using HpT with a supercharger in a transplant old ford truck. Latest quest was the Ford aftermarket coyote crate engine using HpT in a '56 Ford trucky. I did a Whipple coyote in a '67 Mustang but that one was using an AEM controller.

What I am curious about is identifying all the different ECM's/PCM's.

Here's a small amount of info I have gathered. I am hoping we can all put together a small database of pictures to help identify the controllers. I just don't know how to identify all these oaks and coppers or WTF I am looking at :lol:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For 2011-2014 V8 Mustangs and F150s, use Copperhead

For 2011-2014 V6 Mustangs and F150s, use ESYS

For 2015 V8 Mustangs and F150s, use TC-1791

For 2011-2014 Ecoboost F150, and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang, use TC-1797*

For 2017+ F150 3.5L Ecoboost, its a TC-277,

For 2017 F150 2.7L Ecoboost, its a TC-1797,

For 2017 F150 V8, its a TC-1791

For 2018 Mustang, F150 with 5.0L or 2.7 its a TC-298

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


88k EEC 5
112k EEC 5
216K EEC 5
1472K black oak SCP
1472K black oak CAN
1024k spanish oak
1024k PTEC
448k black oak
512k black oak


A list of common processor types are:



Processor Type
Vehicles

88k EEC V
1994-1995 V6 (3.8) Mustangs

112k EEC V
1996-1997 Mustangs

216k EECV
1998-2004 Mustangs, 7.3 Liter Diesel F-Series, Marauder,

216k EECV
Z-TEC Focus, Lightning Truck, Harley Truck, 2004 4.2

216k EECV
liter F-150, 2004 F-250 5.4 Liter, 2004 F-series V-10

1472k Black Oak SCP
SVT Focus

1472k Black Oak CAN
2005 -2006 F-150, 2004 4.6 F-150, 2004 5.4 F-150

1024k Spanish Oak
2005-2006 Mustangs, 2005 F-250, 2005 F-Series V10

1024k PTEC
Lincoln LS, Late model T-Bird. Explorer

448k Black Oak
2003-2004 6.0 Diesel F-Series

512 Black Oak
2005-2006 6.0 Diesel F-Series
darkman5001
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:15 pm
cars: 2005 Yukon, 2004 Suburban, 2001 Tahoe, 2002 Envoy, 2006 Envoy, 2003 Lincoln LS
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by darkman5001 »

I love this. Very very interested to help any way that I can. :thumbup:
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by In-Tech »

Found this on Whipple's site.

Code: Select all

Vehicle Model Year Engine Engine TCM PCM # TCM #
Mustang 2011-2014 5.0L READ N/A Copperhead 2048K N/A
Mustang/F150 2015-2017 5.0L READ N/A TC-1791 N/A
Mustang/F150 2018-2022 5.0L READ N/A TC-298 N/A
F150 2015-2016 2.7L/3.5L READ N/A TC-1797 N/A
F150/Raptor 2017 2.7L/3.5L READ READ TC-277 TC-277 B
F150/Raptor 2018-2020 2.7L/3.5L READ READ TC-277 TC-277 D
Explorer 2020-2022 3.0L READ N/A TC-298 B N/A
Ranger 2019-2022 2.3L READ N/A TC-298 B N/A
Expedition 2018-2022 3.5L READ N/A TC-298 N/A
Navigator 2018-2022 3.5L READ READ TC-277 TC-277 
User avatar
Tazzi
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
cars: VE SS Ute
Location: WA

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by Tazzi »

Im interested to know more about the newest PCMs (2022-2023). I thought Ford/GM worked together on them so they (theoretically) should use a similar bootloader strategy.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by In-Tech »

Tazzi wrote:Im interested to know more about the newest PCMs (2022-2023). I thought Ford/GM worked together on them so they (theoretically) should use a similar bootloader strategy.
Me too on the 22-23 stuff :lol:
GM and Ford have the same 10 speed, I've heard Ford has serious problems with their control strategy for the trans(Dealership gossip)

I am still on the hunt(spare time) for pictures of the different controllers.
In-Tech
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
Location: California

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by In-Tech »

At least Ford always circles the problem :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford1.jpg
Ford2.jpg
Ford3.jpg
Ford4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DWS
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:04 am
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.
Location: USA

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by DWS »

To add to the listing:

96-97 Taurus 3.0L (2 valve) - EEC-V (not sure which size though since PCMFlash doesn't read these ones currently)
98-03 Taurus 3.0L (2 valve) - EEC-V 216k - PWM
04-07 Taurus 3.0L (2 valve) - Looks like EEC-V, but is a D186 which is a different internal hardware design.

Sable with the same engine should match up as well

98-03 Crown Vic (and similar) - EEC-V 216k - PWM
04 Crown Vic - EEC-V 216k - CANBUS?
2005 is when the computer changed types.

I mostly work around EEC-V 216k computers, more or less 98-04 for most models it seems like.
Last edited by DWS on Fri Oct 17, 2025 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ford EEC-V Tuner Site
  • Immo Off, PATS, Security only currently
  • Bank Swapping
  • View VIN and other info about the bin file
PHF to BIN Converter/Viewer
User avatar
Gatecrasher
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by Gatecrasher »

Looks like a lot of the EcoBoost controllers are typical Bosch hardware. Possibly MED17.x variants. I haven't dug into it too far yet.
ATPCR
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:39 pm
cars: Many Fords from 1954 to 1999
Location: north of Huntsville Alabama

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by ATPCR »

What kind of pcm would the 2005 to 2009 Mustang 4.0 SOHC use? Am I understand that a PATS workaround has been achieved? Something related to an Australian BA or BF Falcon? The Mustang used the long running V-6 4.0 SOHC. I was curious if that engine was used in any Aussie cars or just the I-6. Also was curious if anyone has been working on a definition file to go with the bin file from the V-6 2005 to 2009 Mustang for some bench tuning?
gmtech825
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Re: Ford ECM/PCM types

Post by gmtech825 »

Any tools out there to clone a tc-298?